While I want to bring someone in, I'm not interested.
by tdiddy07 (2022-12-02 09:42:53)
Edited on 2022-12-02 09:45:01

In reply to: Is it ridiculous that he could return here?  posted by Otter

I don't care about his comments a few weeks ago. I've never been particularly impressed with the Western-PA hype machine. Like Buchner, people salivated over him in recruiting even though there was a huge gap between him and others at the elite camps. He was never someone who could've stepped in and done well early. He was a development project as someone with tools who didn't throw the ball accurately enough to excel in college. Even though Irish fans were so disenchanted with Kelly's QB development that they demanded this be so.

And his development trajectory does not show someone who would seriously compete for the job. He's had one year as an effective game manager, but where he had a 60 percent completion percentage on only 7.6 ypa. His 150 passer rating season in 2021 he effectively threw the ball down the field, but he had a 7/4 TD/INT ratio. And that was only in six games, two of which were Colgate, UMass and 3-9 Ga Tech. He played poorly against halfway decent teams. And this year, he struggled. Even after injury, he likely lost his starting job, which is why he is leaving.

We'll have enough depth for depth's sake next year. Even if we can't find a surefire starter, I'd rather take someone like Card or a guy who got beat out by a talented QB at a better program than BC. They'd be more likely to compete for the job.

Replies: