Would something like the medical school residency matching
by Tex Francisco (2023-01-26 10:45:33)

program work for college football recruiting? My understanding is that applicants and residency programs each submit rank-ordered lists, and an algorithm optimizes the matching between the two groups. As a mutual match is required, both the applicants and programs have to be realistic with their lists or else they won't get any matches. I'm sure others know a lot more about how this works and could explain it better.

That's what residency programs need, bag men with NIL $ *
by NDFanSince81  (2023-01-30 18:38:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very few go into Med school match without already knowing
by OldIrishFan  (2023-01-26 14:22:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where they are going

That's because you get to pick your medical school.
by Bones  (2023-01-27 16:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Residency is a match, not medical school.

Don't you mean the Residency Match? *
by zahm82  (2023-01-26 17:13:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The match takes place while in medical school. What I am
by OldIrishFan  (2023-01-30 17:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saying is that the residency program and the medical student have come to an agreement before the match. Very few go into the match without already knowing where they are going. At least that was the way it was in 1985.

This is very not true *
by Maud-Dib  (2023-01-26 15:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe for legacies or the well connected
by kevinprice  (2023-01-26 15:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not for my wife who came from Nigeria for undergrad and med school. It was very much a process of building relationship and agreeing (silently) to a match during auditions.

Unless something's changed, that is not always true
by dulac89  (2023-01-26 15:03:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You usually know what specialty, and you generally have it narrowed down to a couple places, but unless a place ranked you as one of their top spots and you ranked them number one, there are no guarantees.

For example, if a place has 8 residency spots, if the people that program ranked 1-8 all put it down as their #1 choice, then they should all match.

But tie breakers goes to the applicant, so an applicant who ranked the program first, but the program ranked 9th, would "bump" someone who ranked the program second, but the program ranked in their top 8.

Again, most people know within 3 schools where they'll be going, but there are definitely plenty of surprises on match day

To be fair, last I went through this was 20 years ago so it may have changed.

That's not exactly my understanding
by czeche  (2023-01-26 15:49:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm under the impression that it's an iterative process. In that case the person ranked higher by the residency gets the spot unless their first choice takes them also.

It actually works really well. As for surprises, that depends on specialty and applicant.

I’m pretty sure tiebreakers go to the applicant
by dulac89  (2023-01-26 16:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If a program A ranks applicant 1 first and applicant 2 second
And program B ranks applicant 2 first and applicant 1 second
And if applicant 1 ranks program B first, and applicant 2 ranks program A first

Then, applicant 1 will match to program B and applicant 2 will match to program A assuming there are no others where the applicant ranked the program number one and the program ranked the applicant number one

Yes i believe that is correct
by czeche  (2023-01-26 17:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that's a different case. Each applicant gets their highest rated residency that is available to them, but that doesn't mean an applicant can jump someone by having the residency listed first and sometime else using it listed at 5th.

In short, there's no penalty to listing "reach" residencies. It's hard to explain this, but effectively they run an iterative process so the residency gets the highest listed residents who have that residency as their highest listed available residency.

Wouldn't work, although it might bring NIL $ offers
by SixShutouts66  (2023-01-26 13:02:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all, I doubt kids would be willing to list a large number of schools in order of preference

Second, some recruits want to play on the same team as player X

Then, teams want to balance recruits by position - in effect they may want to reorder their lists to remove names after they have their guy(s)

Colleges probably don't want their rankings to be made public, either for bulletin board material or internal discussion

NIL impact (up your offer and I'm yours - for at least a year)

like sorority rush for football!!!
by jddomer  (2023-01-26 12:03:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope you bought a pair of Jimmy Choo stilettos for Preference -those kappa kappa gammas are judgey bitches when it comes to shoes.

DG's ftw *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2023-01-26 12:59:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we could get a FootballRushTok going
by jddomer  (2023-01-26 13:01:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like BamaRushTok. Without the hot chicks in sundresses.

Gonna need Tri-Delts, then. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2023-01-27 09:17:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could work
by fontoknow  (2023-01-26 11:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'm guessing it will lock in blue blood programs. Especially if the match is for all football players and not divided into subpools.

It could be really interesting with subpools and I could see some utility of having a match for QB and a match for guards and a match for lineman, etc.