as to the group of 5 schools
by jt (2023-01-28 00:33:15)

In reply to: They are bad...  posted by Wass

yes, it is constant turnover. 50-70% roster reconstruction annually.

Truthfully, for a high school senior it is better to take an FCS offer than go to group of 5 at this point in time; you can get playing time at an FCS and determine if you can move up; if you can, those same group of 5 schools (or even power 5) are available. But some of these FCS programs are actually better; South Dakota, SDSU, North Dakota, NDSU, Sac State, etc. would win most group of 5 conferences easily.

If your goal is to play good football in a winning environment (and not necessarily on Wed night), group of 5 is not the way to go.

Group of 5
by Wass  (2023-01-28 09:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would submit that the Group of 5 conferences may be better off dropping down a level. Let's face it, realistically, even with the expansion of the playoffs, schools in these conferences have little chance to make in, unless one becomes the darling of ESPN. If they drop a level, they have a chance to play for a title at that level. As things stand now, the best they can do is a lousy bowl game to fill time for ESPN. Next season, many of these teams will be forced into weekday games to fill time for ESPN. This doesn't help the players at all. They will miss two, maybe three, days of class when they travel. And I can't see where playing weekday games will help recruiting. The Power 5 teams usually use the Group of 5 teams as cannon fodder to pad their schedules. Sure, we can point to some notable upsets, but most of the time, they are easy wins foe the Power 5. Things have really changed quickly in the past few years, and I suspect there will be even more changes, only not for the better of the athlete or the sport.

Too much money involved to drop down
by jt  (2023-01-28 13:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conference usa teams getting a million dollars each to play weekdays next fall. They don't give a FUCK about the student ath-huh-letes who are missing school. Not even one little teenie tiny fuck. They're not dropping down. And most wouldn't have a chance to compete for a title in the fcs. Boise state and Liberty are about it.

Believe me...
by Wass  (2023-01-28 15:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I am well aware of that. My dad played at a MAC and was part of a "small college NC" team. He has long said they should drop down a level, but they stay where they are at because of the money. Back in the 80s, I thought they should stay where they were at mainly because things were different back then. They weren't playing Power 5 conference (though that ESPN speak term wasn't around back then) teams as much (once a year, sometimes not at all) and they weren't playing weekday games constantly. Now they play Power 5 teams regularly, clearly for the money, and play on weekdays regularly, clearly for the ESPN TV money. If the administration cared, they would drop down. Getting beat up by teams thar have far better talent is no fun and being forced to play on weekdays simply to fill time on ESPN is an insult. But mo ey talks. Personally, I think Power 5 teams playing Group of 5 teams should be penalized in the rankings. Instead, ESPN and those who have a say in the ranking love it when the Power 5 school runs up the score on the nearly hapless Group of 5 school. They are rewarded for their "efforts". As I said elsewhere, I hate the direction college sports are headed. I would hope some sanity will prevail down the road, but I expect it to get worse, not better. Greed is more important than anything now.

and the truth of the matter is
by jt  (2023-01-28 17:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there are many FCS schools that are much more competitive than some group of 5 schools, and the administration is behind the program and supportive of the athletes.

Not the case at many group of 5 schools, where the administration sees the program and the athletes as a necessary evil or a means to an end, similar to the way a John thinks of a hooker.

I think that is the case...
by Wass  (2023-01-28 18:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...case with the MAC. Their admonistrations don't care about the players. They care about the money. But I think the MAC would benefit going to the FCS. Just my opinion. In any event, NIL money and the transfer portal definitely benefit the Power 5 schools the most. They can poach all the best players from the Group of 5 schools with NIL money and the way the transfer portal is set up makes it easier for such players to make the jump. I know you didn't like my scenario of NIL donors pulling strings on players, and I admit is was an unlikely thing to happen, but we can both think of other scenarios that can screw over the athletes. Sadly, right now, the NCAA has little power and gumption to do anything about the way things are heading.

oh, they would benefit
by jt  (2023-01-29 02:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some of those FCS schools would kill them, however. NDSU and UND are legit. Same with Montana and Montana State, and there are several others (SEMO, UT-Martin, Sac State).

Truth is, I know several kids in the 25 and 26 classes and we've talked about it already; if you want to go somewhere where you'll grow as an athlete, get good coaching, and play against good competition on Saturday (and not Tues and Wed), you're much better off in FCS. There are some real high level programs with very good coaching out there.

MAC and Conference USA are just whoring their athletes out there and don't give a fuck.

I won't argue...
by Wass  (2023-01-29 10:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that there are some very good FCS teams who would handle teams in the MAC and C-USA. I just think it's better than playing on weekdays and when they aren't playing such days, they are getting smoked by an SEC or B1G team. Sure, an upset occasionally happens, but that isn't the point. I think the difference in talent will widen the gulf in talent between Power 5 and Group of 5 talent as well. Now, I am not saying this will convince the powers that be in the Group of 5 conferences to make a move to the FCS, but it sure would be a legit excuse to make such a move. It's the money (TV money and money they get from the Power 5 team they are playing) that will keep the status quo.