Why is this being announced?
by KevSubwayIrish (2023-03-17 12:16:19)

In reply to: Green jerseys vs OSU (just announced) (link)  posted by jclay

One of the reasons this worked so well the very first time, to fire up the players and fans, is that it wasn't announced. Just run on the field in Green!

Be Irish *
by HTownND  (2023-03-18 13:06:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To get you to buy a jersey.
by 84david  (2023-03-18 09:54:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got my email for it yesterday.

Also gets the shirts in the bookstore for graduation weekend *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-03-18 19:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mo money, mo money, mo money
by acrossdmiddle  (2023-03-17 22:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is almost always the answer to questions like these regarding ND.

Because somebody has the foresight to protect the brand! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2023-03-17 14:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Protecting the brand is our stated top priority...
by Scoop80  (2023-03-17 18:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Actually trying to compete at highest levels is our 3d priority. This move is consistent w/ that stated set of priorities.

As someone who participated in the 1977 switch, seeing it become a trite marketing ploy makes our priorities tangible to me.

Relax, and celebrate The Brand.
by Brahms  (2023-03-17 18:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tune in, tell your friends and family, and buy stuff.

Pray, Pay, Obey, lads.

Be Irish! *
by Scoop80  (2023-03-17 18:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need some good press for St. Paddy's Day.
by Manorcal  (2023-03-17 14:21:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Normally our men's basketball team would be up for the task but, well, you know...

3/17/07 MBB made the press, but not good press for ND *
by IrishTrpt07  (2023-03-17 14:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always thought it was Winthorp *
by Raoul  (2023-03-18 01:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the Dukes *
by Father Nieuwland  (2023-03-18 10:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The brand facilitates merchandise sales of its partners...
by cmhirish  (2023-03-17 13:39:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read somewhere the bookstore is also going to offer a Digger Phelps doll that says “We are . . . the Green Machine!" when you squeeze its hand.

No, not really. I made up the Digger doll. There is no such thing.
It just sounds like something the brand would do.

I think it’s also about the fans.
by revressbo  (2023-03-17 13:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s gonna be a lot of red. It stands out more and makes it look worse than it is when ND’s fanbase is equally distributed wearing green/blue/gold as opposed to every ND fan wearing green. I think ND is considering that in light of UGA and Nebraska games.

It's much harder to keep something secret with social media. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-03-17 12:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like it being announced ahead of time
by gordonbombay  (2023-03-17 12:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For one thing, in today's world something like a green-jersey game would be close to impossible to keep secret. Word would leak out on Twitter or wherever else. I'm actually quite surprised in retrospect that even Weis and (shudder) Ty were able to keep their surprises on lockdown.

I also think we've long passed the point of diminishing returns for a surprise green jersey game.

What's the last statement based on?
by IrishJosh24  (2023-03-17 12:36:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Things were going to be wild for USC 2005, and already were in the pre-game. But when that team took the field wearing green jerseys, the place absolutely erupted. I think it played a role in how the team performed in the first half especially.

I'm not sure that magic is dead. And, even if it died that day, 2005 wasn't that long ago anyway.

2005 was a LONG time ago...no Twitter, Facebook or anything
by ndgenius  (2023-03-20 10:32:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like that. Yahoo GeoCities didn't even shut down until 2009. The only thing active in 2005 was MySpace and that was only a couple years old.

There's zero chance you could keep something like that quiet today.

And since 2005 we've worn green like every other year.
by tdiddy07  (2023-03-17 13:28:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Often long-planned out in advance in an attempt to increase merchandise sales in Shamrock Series games. I agree that the magic need not be dead. But we need to stop wearing green for like 20 years to bring it back. Which we should anyway.