RIP Mike Kadish *
by nostraDONus (2023-03-22 18:42:41)

This user did not provide content for this post

He lived in Pangborn, on the section facing the golf course
by dbldomer7375  (2023-03-23 07:02:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on the second floor. He was a really big guy. (At that time I remember myself as being skinny.) I remember him having to walk through the doors in Pangborn sideways. In walking through the hallways he always turned a bit to make it easier to get by him.

Patulski lived in the same section with his roommate Ralph Stepaniak, a defensive back. Scott Hempl (kicker) lived on the same floor overlooking the quad.

God rest his soul
by Camarillo Brillo  (2023-03-23 06:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly remember Mike Kadish, big defensive lineman on Ara's early 70's teams. He was a teammate of Walt Patulski, right? Those were some fierce defensive lines we had back then. My condolences to his family and friends.

Mike used to hit balls on the driving range at Quail Ridge
by ND74KJS  (2023-03-22 21:32:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Grand Rapids almost every day. When I moved there in 2008 physically he could walk ok, but mentally his mind just wasn't all there. He lived on the range and could walk over to hit balls as I don't think he was able to drive. Very nice person, but football had taken a terrible toll on him. So sad. He was one of the nicest persons on the team at ND, but he was ferocious on the field. May his soul rest in peace.

I always pointed out his plaque on the wall at Van Andel
by graNDfan  (2023-03-23 10:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arena to my kids as he was a member of the GR Sports Hall of fame…

Sad news. He was great. Kadish #72. *
by Homeboy73  (2023-03-22 18:59:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can someone add a little more about him?
by DrunkenIrishPoet  (2023-03-22 23:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a bit before my time in watching ND.

Thank you.

I had the same question
by GoonSquad  (2023-03-23 00:09:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure many people here can provide some more color beyond just the link.

Don’t recall meeting him but by all accounts a great guy *
by Moff  (2023-03-23 00:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for that link
by GoonSquad  (2023-03-23 00:37:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad to see that and to learn more about him. Sad to hear about the degradation of the mind in his later years. As he said in the video, he’d do it all over again. But there’s obviously more to it than that. RIP.

My pleasure. Just Googled quite a bit and not a lot
by Moff  (2023-03-23 00:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of articles on him. One of those guys in the trenches that quietly went about his business. I see from the 1971 Scholastic Football Review that he led the 1971 team with 87 tackles, more than even Walt Patulski, and had quite a few tackles for loss and 6 passes broken up.

Just yesterday I saw Tim Brown comment on a post about concussions, with a video simulation of what happens to the brain on a big hit/concussion. He commented that the type of impact illustrated happens to a lineman 30-40 times per game.

Not suprisingly, Olson had a story about him several years
by Moff  (2023-03-23 00:36:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ago at link

I was thinking about trying to invoke olson
by GoonSquad  (2023-03-23 00:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I didn’t think my lowly poster status would prompt a response. Good to know he was 5 years ahead of me.

Olson is the best. *
by Moff  (2023-03-23 00:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreeance *
by GoonSquad  (2023-03-23 00:49:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Below are some quotes from a 2001 article on Kadish
by Moff  (2023-03-23 01:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was then 51, 20 years post retirement from the NFL.

"Without all the pills I take, I couldn't even be speaking with you right now.” … “In fact, talking is one of the most difficult things about my condition. There's so many muscles involved in making the mouth form sounds and words that it's really noticeable when I don't have medication."

He was noted to have suffered 15 concussions, including one in high school and two at ND, and to have spent a week in the hospital after one in 1973 at a Dolphins practice, before being traded to Buffalo.

The article said some former teammates noticed, at a 1994 golf outing, that his speech and balance were off, and the diagnoses was first post-concussion syndrome and later a mild form of Parkinson’s

"I'm about the stage where [actor] Michael J. Fox is. I'm like him, just hoping some cure is found before things get too much worse."

"Right now, it's not life-threatening…. I don't work. I can't do some things physically. I want to spend as much quality time with my kids as I can because there's a chance I'll be shuffling along like Muhmammad Ali does.”

"Who's to blame? No one's to blame. But I think people should know the damaging effects of a concussion when they watch these games."

So it sounds like it was a three decade struggle for him and his family. May he Rest In Peace

thanks for posting that
by jt  (2023-03-23 02:13:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would also add that it is highly doubtful that he only had 15 concussions; he likely had many, many more than that, and most either went unreported or simply were shrugged off as "part of the game." I spoke with someone who had played under Kuharich and Devore and he mentioned at least 3 instances of getting knocked out during practice and mentioned that it was quite common in those days; he was a running back, and the OL and DL have repetitive hits, and in those days it was full go, every practice. This player also ended up with Parkinson's, though it was not necessarily tied back to his football hits. He also did have several mental health issues the rest of his days as well, but again not necessarily football related.

Bill Walsh was the first one to start easing up in practice (not counting John Gagliardi, who was doing it at a much smaller level years prior) to try and save on wear and tear, but it took the rest of the game years to catch up. Hell, anyone who played for Joe Moore can talk to you about "batting practice" and those repetitive hits.

We're definitely trying to get better at it. I was working with a college OL today, going over tape and trying to walk through getting his head out of his blocks. The hard thing is that it really starts from your feet in that if you get too far out on your toes (as opposed to being on your heels) your head will start to lead you as a way to regain balance. This is counter intuitive to how we walk/run when we are trying to "attack," so it's actually a difficult adjustment for kids as they're learning the game. We need good educators as coaches who are going to really stress the proper fundamentals of blocking and tackling (which, IMO is still poor at the college and NFL level). We have to have guys studying tape, and we need to take whatever precautions that are needed. It needs to start in practice; we can't count on the refs to simply enforce the rules and teach the game during competition--the game often moves too fast for them, and they aren't even always convinced at what they're seeing.

I agree. I didn’t want to want to quote too much from the
by Moff  (2023-03-23 02:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

article because (albeit 22 years old) it is behind a paywall, but one additional thing he said was how the doctors on the sideline would simply ask how many fingers they were holding up. He said unless you were knocked out, you were going back in.

As I mentioned in another post, when a simulation video was posted the other day on Twitter purporting to show how much the brain sloshes around just by a hit to the forehead with a hand, TB responded that hits like the one depicted happen at least 30-40 times per game for a lineman.

and the game is just one day
by jt  (2023-03-23 12:38:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

full-go practices at least 3 times a week were the norm as recent as 15 years ago for many programs. Back in my day (early 90s) it was 4 days a week.

That shit adds up.