by the way, since we've been talking about health and safety
by jt (2023-03-23 12:57:50)

of the game, I have been meaning to mention that the XFL has done a really creative job in making the kickoffs safer; basically, one guy lines up deep, one guy kicks, and the remaining players face off about (I think) 15 yards in front of the return man and are not allowed to move until he catches the ball. Just a great idea that makes the kick return a lot more fun without the dangerous collisions from guys sprinting 50 yards downfield and running into someone full speed. I would also argue for it on punts, but I can understand not wanting to change that part of the game yet. I also like the fact that there are no onside kicks but rather in the 4th quarter you can do a 4th and 15 and if you make it you keep the ball.

They also have eliminated extra points (good) and added a 3 point conversion. I don't know if they're going to make it as a league (doubt it) but they're really getting creative and hopefully these changes are implemented in all levels of the game soon.

They did that in the previous iteration (2020)
by DawsonMayes871  (2023-03-24 10:52:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a great idea. You can't really do it on punts unless you're conceding that you won't run a fake, right?

yes, you would have to concede that there is no fake
by jt  (2023-03-24 11:09:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that the tradeoff would be worth it; not that many fakes are run to begin with, and it would enhance the return game which has been missing for quite some time, for the most part.

Why were extra points eliminated? To speed up the game?
by Irish1978  (2023-03-23 17:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They aren's a higher risk activity are they?

I think probably to add excitement.
by cabnd00  (2023-03-23 20:56:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only kicks were eliminated, and 2 or 3 point conversions are allowed, which are more interesting to watch and also create more chances for differences in points and ability to make comebacks.

I'm not sure
by jt  (2023-03-23 17:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, I do not believe that they are safety risks, though I always hated snapping back in the day because you could just plow the center.

I like the KO and Onside kick rules a lot
by TheRC  (2023-03-23 17:22:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't like the no PAT (I would Prefer the kicker have to kick from the 3yd line directly behind where the ball broke the plane of the end zone).

I also think the 3pt conversion is pretty goofy. But still you probably have to try a couple goofy ideas to find a good one and it seems there hit rate is 50/50, which is actually quite good (75/25, depending on how one feels about PAT rule, I think they identified a real issue, but their solution wasn't much of an improvement). The 3pt conversion seems like a solution in search of a problem

I thought the rule changes were interesting
by ravenium  (2023-03-23 15:50:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think anything should be so sacred that we can't consider it. 30 years ago I enjoyed watching someone impale the opposing QB on their helmet, and it made sense to change those rules (for the most part) to protect health and safety.

(please don't adopt the NCAA overtime rule, though - that one is stupid)

As far as the success of the XFL and USFL, I don't know what is the key to getting more viewers. 75+ years ago they didn't have to worry about TV contracts and there were fewer competitors for attention. Today you have to gin up a fandom AND get viewers and do a modern team from sctatch.

I look at MLS as an example - the Portland Timbers regularly sell out, but it took a long time for US soccer to get to that point. However, they're at a point where there is a hometown following and rabid fan base.

I watched a game, it was pretty interesting *
by El Kabong  (2023-03-23 14:34:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post