Swarbrick/Jenkins duplicitousness
by Jafman (2023-03-24 02:32:38)

These two “author” an article in The NY Times. I bet there are numerous lawyers and professors who were ghost writers on this piece. If a student submitted such an “authored” work as their own work they would be expelled for plagiarism. How these two righteous tools are allowed to represent the University of Notre Dame is unfathomable to me. When my last child graduates in 2024 I will return to have fun with my college roommates on a game day or with my son, but my lifelong affection for the university, including a faculty parent and myself and 4 siblings attending UND, has been squandered by these parasites.

Fr John's march of history: ND's Hesburgh as groundbreaking
by nd71  (2023-03-26 10:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

US Civil Rights architect to ND's Jenkins as US College Football turf-breaking money changer/bagman.

Nice trend path and slope. The company you keep . . .

ND is a brand with a football team. Be Irish *
by NDFlyer  (2023-03-25 11:03:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A hedge fund whose greatest asset on the books is nostalgia. *
by RagingBull  (2023-03-26 05:26:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And where investors invest with prestige as the only return
by actionman  (2023-03-26 06:01:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one donates to their favorite hedge fund

My thoughts exactly. *
by Domer06  (2023-03-24 21:39:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some in the media are starting to speculate
by jt  (2023-03-24 12:44:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that if this Hail Mary pass to Congress doesn't work, the next step is to appeal to the NFL for money.

I actually think that idea has merit, but it needs to come from someone besides Jenkins and Swarbrick; nobody believes them, and for good reason.

NFL owners seem about as likely to offer free admission to..
by Scoop80  (2023-03-24 16:48:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their games as they are to change a talent development system that has visibly helped their bottom lines for decades. Not only do colleges develop NFL's talent for free, high level college players are already household names before they're drafted. In fact, the reason why the NFL is able to pad its profit margins a little more during its 3 day draft extravaganza is b/c most fans are familiar w/ players drafted in early rounds and are interested in seeing where they've gone.

NFL owners will only change this system if forced to do so by legislation or by compelling outside factors that fundamentally undermine this aspect of their business model.

your last sentence is at the heart of the issue
by jt  (2023-03-24 17:06:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if, as so many below seem sooooooooooo concerned about, colleges end up folding up their programs because they simply cannot compete and pay their players even a minimum wage salary for their "part time" commitment, the NFL will lose development programs. It stands to reason that this would be very bad for the NFL in both the short and long runs, hence they would be forced to act. On one hand, they could develop their own minor league system which would be extremely costly, have little to no brand recognition, and probably would operate in the red (witness what MLB has had to do since taking over MILB). On the other hand, they could provide money and resources to an established brand that perhaps doesn't have the resources needed to maintain their program and develop players, pay coaches, etc.

This might have already happened had the NCAA not been engaged in illegal activity and acting as a cartel. This is the sort of thing that happens when you allow this sort of behavior; this could have all been done much, much cheaper years ago, but the can has been kicked and now there is a price to pay. However, instead of owning up to it and finding a way to pay that prices, Mssrs Jenkins, Swarbrick, Smith, et al are trying to throw a Hail Mary to Congress and appeal to the nostalgia of the courts to maintain status quo. It's looking more and more unlikely that it will work, but you never know; lots of rubes out there.

They want you to Be Irish, but too often they make you feel
by SWPaDem  (2023-03-24 07:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like they want you to Be Gone. It's like they're not of the same planet as the rest of us poor schlubs, but somehow they've assembled enough dutiful satellites to maintain orbit around them to keep their little anti-Galilean universe thing going and going and going.

I understand that Jenkins is supposed to retire at some point in the near-future - I'll believe it when I see it - but I think we're going to remain blessed with Jack for a long long time. And why not - the pay's good and monitoring whatever landscape he's looking at must be pretty easy.