Unrecognizable, maybe even in five years
by novadamer (2023-03-25 21:34:30)

In reply to: Where is college football headed?  posted by IAND75

This is not what I want, but what I expect:

The B1G and SEC will grow a little more, break out of the NCAA, and form their own set of rules, including championship eligibility. The rules will allow the schools to "associate" their football programs in such a way that football is largely off the books. Perhaps there will be some set of "scholarship" players who continue to go to class and work toward a degree. The others will practice/play for the NIL and possible NFL money. This has the added advantage of "lowering" spending and scholarships on men's sports, solving a potential Title IX challenge. The schools would set up partnering relationships with the teams, which could include a payment to the school which the school could then use as it pleases (for example, to continue to fund other varsity sports, although perhaps at a reduced level).

This mega-conference would welcome teams who want to play by their rules, and some set of the Group of Five, Big12, and Pac12 might join. Some schools might opt out completely and form a rival association with a more traditional model (student-athletes, restricted NIL agreements, etc). It would seem to be a less prestigious and less financially successful league, although it may grow over time.

The mega-conference would probably restrict overall membership (40? 50?) and permit some form of revenue sharing to help those teams which are less successful compete. But in the end, they would have some form of relegation for unsuccessful programs.

What began as a unique-if-shady "student-athlete" amateur sport will have grown into a full fledged minor league with only tenuous ties to the academic institutions which spawned it, all because those institutions were so blinded by greed they could govern themselves.

I have no idea which way Notre Dame would choose at this point.

Replies: