It smacks of vanity, presumptiveness and entitlement.
by CJC (2023-06-09 13:26:48)

In reply to: I am very skeptical of this AD hire  posted by ACross

For all I know, Bevacqua may turn out to be the best AD Notre Dame has ever had.

But particularly given the unassailable record of pursuing their own interests and self-aggrandizement, both Jenkins and Swarbrick deserve all the skepticism that may come their way for conducting an anointing rather than anything that resembles a search.

Swarbrick is on record claiming that's been around elite coaches for decades. Other than in passing, that's simply not true, Even to the extent that I'd agree that some of the age-group and national team coaches with whom he associated prior to arriving at Notre Dame were elite, their "job descriptions" diverge so materially from those of an elite college football or basketball coach that Swarbrick's associations are largely irrelevant.

He and Jenkins continue to disregard their fiduciary duty to Notre Dame, its students and alumni. Of course, here I don't mean in the classic attorney-client, financial advisor, etc., sense. But I mean that Notre Dame is not theirs to do as they please. The giants of the place -- Hesburgh, Joyce, Krause, Valdiserri, Corrigan -- all saw themselves as stewards of something far bigger than themselves. (See, for a non-Notre Dame example, Nick Saban stating that Alabama football is bigger than him when asked about modifying jerseys.)

It's sickening.