I'm a little stunned and pretty sad.
by wearendhockey (2018-04-08 01:32:38)

This was, by far, the toughest loss I have ever experienced in all these years of watching hockey at Notre Dame.

I was trying to put a post together that made sense from some sort of an analytical standpoint but I'm too frustrated. UMD played well yes, congratulations to them, but this was not like the Denver game last year. We played like crap then, but playing our best we probably would have lost that game. Had we played our best tonight, we'd have won this game easier than we've won a game in 2 months. But tonight, I could fill up an entire notebook cataloging mistakes I saw, from players and coaches alike.

As was posted by someone else, I feel like we let a huge opportunity slip through our hands. It wasn't effort, I know everyone left it all on the ice. It was obvious the team was physically, mentally and emotionally empty when the game ended. But the winning team was too. We just made mistake after mistake.

I hate that in 2018 we judge a season too much on what happened during the last game you play. Right now I'm guilty of that, and that's unfair. But unless and until this team finally wins the final game of the year, this one is going to be remembered as an unbelievable opportunity gone unrealized. I'll feel better about the season in a couple of days. Right now though, this one just sucks too much.

Replies: