Like CJC, I'm not an X's and O's type with respect...
by Kbyrnes (2018-04-08 08:38:40)
Edited on 2018-04-08 08:45:01

In reply to: I'm a little stunned and pretty sad.  posted by wearendhockey

...to hockey, but have watched for a long time (like, 50+ years), and the following comes out of that context.

I agree that we had a hard time generating organized rushes that presented significant threats; we certainly made mistakes, and two of those (actually, more than two, within two situations) led to the total offense of UMD. Our spacing often seemed poor, and our passes often seemed to be just off the target's stick. When we did have chances in the offensive zone they were usually well-defended, and when they weren't we shot the puck inaccurately and, again, couldn't seem to get the puck on the stick of a player coming open by the net (the few times that really happened).

My impression is that the energetic play of UMD had a lot to do with that--they were highly disruptive from the neutral zone back into their end, getting to pucks and getting in our way. It had a physical effect on where we could go with the puck and probably a mental effect, too, as we seemed to rush some passes and get in our own ways. Maybe this represents some degree of a lapse in coaching; usually when the other team focuses on one approach to the game it leaves opportunities elsewhere. But UMD's philosophy seemed to be to just play with utmost energy, and we didn't directly match or strategically counter that.

Having said that, we played with a lot of energy, too. It just shaped up as a night when neither team was going to have a lot of offensive success. Another way to consider the outcome is to note the impact of random events in a game between two fairly evenly matched opponents. What if Cale seals the post on their second goal? What if we get just one slightly different angle to one of the pucks that seemed to be laying around in the blue paint, or a slightly different bounce of the puck itself down there?

Yes, very frustrating, but to put it in a nutshell, I felt like UMD was too disruptive, and we had no answer to their play.

Replies: