Ice Chips
by NH74Domer (2018-04-08 12:16:25)
Edited on 2018-04-08 12:24:25

1) After the semi-final, and given our play for the second half, I was dead certain that we were going to play our best game of the year last night. We were overdue for a dominating 60 min performance. I also thought Cale needed to be perfect. Neither happened. However, one thing I do know: Hockey is one the handful of sports at ND where the expectations for a national title are legitimate and (now) expected. I will take this every time.

2) Andrew Oglevie is one big time player. There were a few guys that were going to be important to our post season run and he was at the top of my list. I really hope he comes back. A line with him, Malmquist and Burke would be dynamite to watch

3) It's strange to think that of an ND team as offensively challenged, but it really felt that way. I remember looking at our shots on goal at 32 games this year and saw that they were nearly 300 or 350 off of where we finished last year over 40 games. While the scoring burden was taken up a bit by others on the roster, it's telling that Cal Burke led the team in goals going into the Regionals despite scoring just one goal over the second half of the season to that point.

4) Colin Theisen's rush to the net stands out as one of the bigger missed opportunities. Had he dumped the puck back to the slot as Morrison had done against UM, it would have found a trailer all alone. With the traffic he created in front of goalie with his rush, a shot from the slot might have found the back of the net. A freshman trying to do too much - he'll learn.

5) I know that JJ isn't too concerned about Shots Against (he's more concerned about opponent's puck possession in our defensive end) but when you lead the nation in this category by a wide margin (let alone attempted) you have to think that our neutral and defensive zone play will be an area of focus in the offseason.

I see shots against as a mixed bag...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-08 13:06:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an awful lot depends on where from, result (rebound? one and out?), etc. it's why more and more people question Corsi-type analytics as a prediction tool. Steve Shea and Chris Baker have come up with a different approach to analytics, for example. I concur with your general observation but I wouldn't take it too far on its own.

On the “expected” national titles
by DakotaDomer  (2018-04-08 12:48:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do the last 11 years of national champions all have in common?

What do they all have in common?
by MinnesotaFats  (2018-04-08 13:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thought it would be something like no repeat champions, or no #1 seeds, but neither is the case.

The hockey team is #1 on campus for all of them *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-04-08 13:59:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if that is true for Yale, PC, or MSU. *
by basicbasket  (2018-04-08 14:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Definitely not true for PC. Toss-up for Yale. *
by SavageDragon  (2018-04-08 21:10:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MSU is 12 years
by DakotaDomer  (2018-04-08 14:13:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do Yale and PC have going on?

Can I compare attendance for their other teams?

PC is historically a BB school.
by basicbasket  (2018-04-08 14:19:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think hockey is bigger than football at Yale.

You got me on those
by DakotaDomer  (2018-04-08 14:44:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can’t believe Yale’s football stadium holds 60k

How are they losing to NDSU every year playing in that dump?

Meaning their clear primary sport? *
by MinnesotaFats  (2018-04-08 14:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They ain't the Penguins *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-08 12:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post