Lets hope we have a terrific Freshman Class like we
by zahm82 (2018-04-14 13:03:26)

had in 2010 with the likes of Lee, Tynan, Costello, Rust and others. That year turned out pretty well !

I actually don’t follow recruiting
by DakotaDomer  (2018-04-14 22:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I knew all about Lee

Who are our most hyped recruits? Where does Lee rank? Numero uno?

As I recall
by Nodakirish  (2018-04-22 22:31:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mario Lucia
Stephen Johns
Cam Fowler
Ian Cole

Lee wasn’t particularly hyped as a recruit
by Boston Domer  (2018-04-15 19:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a sixth round pick and Jackson sent him off to the USHL for some seasoning because he didn’t think he was ready to contribute after high school graduation. Can Fowler is probably the obvious answer; he was considered a potential top overall pick when he signed and ended up going twelfth. Riley Sheahan was propbably the most hyped player who made it to campus.

The hype I remember - He was probably the best QB on campus *
by NDoggie78  (2018-04-16 13:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Minnesota told him he could play QB *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-16 13:50:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right - he wasn't a ND QB
by shea  (2018-04-28 03:04:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though maybe he could have played for those teams. Woof.

He was well-known as a recruit, partly due to FB/H combo. *
by SavageDragon  (2018-04-15 20:50:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By hype, would rate top 3: Palmieri, Cole, Sheahan.
by SavageDragon  (2018-04-15 20:41:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Other contenders by ranking/draft status might be Lucia, Ruth, Hurley, Morrison, Johns.

Brad Phillips was going to be the goalie of all goalies . .
by other_guy  (2018-04-25 20:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Palmieri had the makings of an outstanding college hockey player . . . until he fell out of the back of that pickup!

Peeke probably fits there as well...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-16 10:05:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then there was Christian Fischer and Tkachuck - what coulda been

Don’t forget Cam Fowler. He might top the “what if?” list. *
by PeteatND  (2018-04-18 09:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah - I left him off because BD mentioned him *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-18 18:46:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should have included Cole *
by Boston Domer  (2018-04-15 21:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This post might piss a few people off, but I take a contrary
by wearendhockey  (2018-04-14 16:31:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

view on the success of the 2010-2011 season.

While that freshman class certainly had a number of talented players (including what will likely be the best individual Irish player in the NHL for some time to come) I think other than Lee and Tynan the seniors had far more to do with bouncing back from a sub-par (and injury riddled) 2009-2010 season. Joe Lavin remains a bit of an unsung hero (he was a transfer and played only a half season of hockey in an Irish sweater before being named the unexpected captain for the 2010-2011 season) and the leadership of other seniors, notably Calle Ridderwall and Ryan Guentzel (the latter having a huge 40 or so point season -- doubling the point total of first three years combined) really propelled the team to St. Paul.

The members of the class of 2014 failed to win a tournament game after 2011 and were key actors in the rather stunning collapse of the 2011-2012 season, which started with a pre-season #1 ranking and just 2 losses in the first 15 games. To me they looked like they got caught up in all of the hype surrounding them as this great class and the opening of the CFIA. They did help claim the final CCHA crown of all time, but in its final season of existence the CCHA was as weak as it had been since the first time Notre Dame joined in the early 1980s.

I know I'm in the minority but I was just never impressed with the 2010-2011 freshmen.

That freshman class scored half of the teams goals that year
by zahm82  (2018-04-14 18:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and were a big reason we made it to the Frozen Four in addition to the senior leadership you mentioned. It may be a bit unfair to blame that class for the failure to achieve greater things in subsequent years.

If they are to be credited for success
by wearendhockey  (2018-04-14 22:56:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in one season, they have to be held responsible for lack of it in subsequent years. The size of that class, and in my opinion the hype that accompanied them, was detrimental in following seasons. My opinion that the class was far too much of a clique and was not as welcoming to classes that followed them as the returning players in the 2010-2011 season were is shared by others.

Don't get me wrong, they were good college hockey players and weren't bad guys, I just think they were overhyped and did not live up to the hype by any stretch of the imagination. As well, 2 of those freshman had almost 2/3rds of the goals scored by freshmen, and the other 8 skaters had a third.

I'd carve Rusty out....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-15 10:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he wasn't all that heralded beyond being "the brother of ..." at Michigan. His last year he singlehandedly drove us the final 6 weeks. But I think your overall point has some validity. I also don't think that Anders was a "clique" guy. If he had a fault at ND it was that he probably wasn't assertive and he didn't use his size as effectively as he could have. The NYI developed that by giving him decent time in the AHL.

Brian Rust should have been the captain his senior year
by wearendhockey  (2018-04-15 12:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and maybe his junior year. I said that repeatedly for the better part of his final two seasons. I wondered if in hindsight Jackson might even have thought that. His comments about Rust after his senior season and when he made the Penguins lead me to that conclusion.

What you said *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-15 13:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post