Skunks v Irish - Jan. 5, 2019?
by D8NDomer (2018-05-19 13:52:23)

In the stadium? Will this draw a crowd with the students still at home?

Sounds like an opportunity for skunk fans to invade South Bend. Why do we do this?

January 5 - the day of the latest sunrise in the year. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-05-22 12:55:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only have one very important question
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-21 08:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can we tailgate?

ND should offer free admission to SB area residents
by basicbasket  (2018-05-19 16:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, this will never happen.

It's a stupid idea anyway
by Kayo  (2018-05-19 17:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Free or not, why will I want wear six layers of winter clothes and sit 60 yards from the rink when one of the best college hockey venues is across the parking lot? Free won't cut it, but I'll consider going if ND is willing to pay me a substantial sum TBD based on the temperature that day.

But won't the novelty be great?

The temparture complaint is stupid
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-19 21:55:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The venue and distance complaint is completely valid

Hockey is played in the cold, complaining about watching it in the coldissully

Hockey is played in the cold?
by Kayo  (2018-05-20 08:32:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure, we all played outside in the cold growing up; but hockey played at high school, juniors, college, and professional levels is played at indoor rinks and arenas. Only a few games each season are played in the cold as ticket selling stunts.

A blanket statement saying hockey is played in the cold is silly.

The ice is 24 degrees, the players are skating around 50
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-20 12:47:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only the fans get to experience that sweet sweet 65 degree comfort
So yes, hockey is played in the cold
Do you think football shouldn’t be played on grass?

You made my point for me.
by Kayo  (2018-05-20 15:18:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I posted the following in my first post - "Free or not, why will I want wear six layers of winter clothes..." Fans getting to experience that sweet sweet 65 degree comfort is 100% my point. What would posess a person to choose 20 degrees instead?

I think football should be played on grass... just as I think hockey should be played on ice. Do we disagree about that?

And that’s why it’s a ridiculous complaint
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-20 17:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since hockey’s natural environment is the cold

Remember I agreed with you about the distance viewing, hockey should not be played in places designed for football.

But complaining about the cold...for hockey...is nuts. You might as well complain that it was too hot when you vacationed in Qatar.

Natural environment is the cold is your assumption
by Kayo  (2018-05-20 19:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You haven't made a case for it being a fact. If it were a fact, the NHL and other leagues would play outdoors all the time like MLB, The NFL, et al do.

Other than pickup games, hockey and basketball are indoor games

Well, some of them play outdoors all of the time...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-21 11:14:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

others play inside - either entirely or partially

Who is "them" *
by Kayo  (2018-05-21 13:11:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MLB...NFL...you know YOUR examples
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-21 13:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of leagues that apparently play outdoors all the time, except they dont

Thanks for the clarification
by Kayo  (2018-05-21 14:23:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really didn't know what you meant.

Indoor baseball and football stadiums seemed to gain popularity decades ago, but the trend has been back to the usual habitat or retractable.

Tropicana Field is the only fixed roof MLB stadium, and nobody likes it. The NFL is down to three domes, and the Superdome (1975) isn't likely to be around much longer.

Hardly a trend.

How many games a year do Houston and Arizona...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-22 09:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

play "outside"? Whenever I see games there the roofs are on. Then there's the Colts, Falcons, Saints, ... - you get the picture.

Doesn't that kind of make his point?
by El Kabong  (2018-05-22 12:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People like to watch games in comfort.

Just because hockey is played on ice doesn't mean the people watching it have to be freezing.

And on your overall point
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-22 20:45:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If comfort was that important to a fan they are welcome to watch the games from their La-Cy-boy

Or if they’re rich they can sit in luxury seats in the press box, you know, with the REAL fans

The players are out there killing themselves for your amusement. Maybe you should take your complaints about how uncomfortable you are to this guy.

Fine
by El Kabong  (2018-05-23 12:34:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So let's revisit the original point of the thread:

More casual fans tend not to go to outdoor games.
Students tend to be more than casual fans.
This game is scheduled during semester break, when students will be away.
The number of more-than-casual fans probably will be less as a result.
Will there be enough non-student more-than-casual fans to prevent a large pro-Michigan crowd from showing up?

If your original response was just a more polite variation on "true hockey fans watch games outside if you're not you're a pussy RAAAWWWRRR", maybe you should have said it that way instead because then I wouldn't have bothered.

Why are you simply ignoring January 1?...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-24 09:05:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the stadium will have a rink. Why not use it for more than one event?

I'm not
by El Kabong  (2018-05-24 18:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm saying if I'm going to South Bend to watch ND play hockey, the novelty of watching it in the Stadium is limited. The novelty of watching the Hawks is much greater, which is why I'm going to that game.

If they want to use it for more than one event, fine, but I'm not sure there'll be enough more-than-casual fans to watch an ND game in those circumstances.

See you on Jan. 1 - hopefully Vinnie and Anders B..
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-25 09:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

suit up.

Well this is completely wrong
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-24 08:17:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Casual fans show up for these event hockey games.

Will we fill the stadium? I highly doubt it. But we’re not going to lose the casual fan because of the cold. We’ll still have more attendance than a typical hockey game.

The game will absolutely include a ton of Michigan fans but not enough that either fan base is going to be heard with 10k each in an 80k seat football stadium

I’m sorry I called Kayo’s temparture complaint stupid. I hope I didn’t hurt his feelings.

No, it contradicts kayo’s second incorrect point *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-22 20:40:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn’t even the one that posted it *
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-21 16:20:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry... So back to the question about "them." *
by Kayo  (2018-05-21 17:01:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m pretty sure I interpreted him correctly
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-21 21:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s oretty obvious he’s pointing out your incorrect example

Yep - I really didn't think the point would be ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-22 09:09:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this challenging to grasp. Somebody isn't trying. Meanwhile, can ND put portable heaters in the seats?

Basketball was invented in a gym
by DakotaDomer  (2018-05-21 08:55:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hockey was invented on a pond

Hockey on a pond wouldn't be a popular spectator sport
by Kayo  (2018-05-21 13:10:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why the NHL played indoors more than 100 years ago.

You don't want to go - that's cool ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-20 15:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do. So is that.

Enjoy
by Kayo  (2018-05-20 15:38:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would you stick around a couple of days for an indoor game on the 5th?

I'm good eirther way ...
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-21 08:40:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but then I've been to 10 or 11 outdoor games

Wonder if indoor game will be played
by D8NDomer  (2018-05-20 16:42:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on 4th or 6th? Or split to AA?

Hopefully a split just like last season
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-05-20 17:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would make sense, and limit our home games while the students are away.

What you said - and since I'm going to be there on Jan. 1 .
by BIGSKYND  (2018-05-20 14:24:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looks like I can stay a few more days.