Why would that be a reason not to have a hockey team? *
by MinnesotaFats (2018-05-28 17:16:33)

In reply to: ND has a club team for women's hockey. *  posted by HoundDog1973

This user did not provide content for this post

I was responding to the post above that purported to lay
by HoundDog1973  (2018-05-29 12:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

out some reasons in favor of adding women's hockey. I said there were no compelling reasons and the response listed some reasons, but the only one that I consider "compelling" is the first, that women at ND may want to play hockey. Those women have that opportunity to play for ND with the club team, and many do so. A vibrant club team satisfies the women who want to play and lets potential students know that there is that opportunity. Women students can satisfy their desire to play hockey on an organized team without the burdens of being a varsity athlete. It uses the facilities that we have without the needless expansion of varsity sports that is already too big for the size of the university undergraduate population.

Varsity sports too big for size of undergraduate population
by NDoggie78  (2018-05-29 13:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is your opinion - not a fact.

As I posted above, Stanford (Jenkin's aspirational peer) has 36 varsity sports to our 26. They have a smaller undergraduate population. They not only have an abundance of varsity sports, they play most of them very well.

As someone who played a club sport before it became varsity, they are not equal. I'm sure the women who play club hockey and those who would be recruited to play varsity hockey would agree

Yes, it is my opinion.
by HoundDog1973  (2018-05-29 13:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I certainly agree that a club sport is not equal to a varsity sport. Each has advantages over the other. I just don't see a reason why ND should recruit women and pay them (scholarships) to play hockey. There are plenty of women already at ND who play hockey for the school's club team.

I believe it was Monk who used the term aspirational peer to describe Stanford and other schools. I have not heard Fr. Jenkins use that term although he may have too.

You're right - Monk not Jenkins
by NDoggie78  (2018-05-29 14:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They both have pissed me off (spoiled by Hesburgh & Joyce)

My opinion on ND sports is swayed by seeing many sports emerge from club status to varsity during my time at ND (most notably women's basketball, soccer and lacrosse). And formed by sports lost primarily by Title IX - wrestling (brother was on wrestling team). Not arguing against Title IX, just advocating for couple more sports. Some school's sports programs are constrained by budget - ours aren't.