Yes, it is my opinion.
by HoundDog1973 (2018-05-29 13:40:11)

In reply to: Varsity sports too big for size of undergraduate population  posted by NDoggie78

I certainly agree that a club sport is not equal to a varsity sport. Each has advantages over the other. I just don't see a reason why ND should recruit women and pay them (scholarships) to play hockey. There are plenty of women already at ND who play hockey for the school's club team.

I believe it was Monk who used the term aspirational peer to describe Stanford and other schools. I have not heard Fr. Jenkins use that term although he may have too.

You're right - Monk not Jenkins
by NDoggie78  (2018-05-29 14:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They both have pissed me off (spoiled by Hesburgh & Joyce)

My opinion on ND sports is swayed by seeing many sports emerge from club status to varsity during my time at ND (most notably women's basketball, soccer and lacrosse). And formed by sports lost primarily by Title IX - wrestling (brother was on wrestling team). Not arguing against Title IX, just advocating for couple more sports. Some school's sports programs are constrained by budget - ours aren't.