I used this source
by NDoggie78 (2018-05-29 17:09:07)
Edited on 2018-05-29 17:12:14

In reply to: my source says 20, but whatever...  posted by DavidAddison

Having the money isn't the reason for adding the sport, it is to point out that it shouldn't be a hindrance for adding. Also in your cost analysis, it is likely that those same women on the hockey team would be getting some portion of that money even if there wasn't a hockey team.

You could have used these same arguments when women's basketball was a club sport - when men's lacrosse was a club sport. Becoming a varsity sport was the catalyst for these teams. Whose to say that wouldn't happen for women's hockey? Money is not the obstacle, people who don't want to expand opportunities or think cost should dissuade having these teams or those that "don't like women's hockey" (the small sample on this board are in favor)

I'd venture to say that most athletes not playing football or basketball could get into ND on their own merits - playing a varsity sport may give them the nod where resumes are equal. I don't think they are taking many spots from other "qualified" students. Besides, I'd rather have more well-rounded student body then the way the direction the student body is headed.

Replies: