Closer to last place than 3rd place... yikes.
by wearendhockey (2019-01-13 10:13:43)

We do have at least one game in hand on 5 of the other 6 teams (2 on UMich). But the team is clearly struggling, especially offensively.

The lack of scoring lately will expose every mistake a goalie makes, too, even if it is just one or two a weekend. Both netminders have save percentages far above the average, but when you score 1 goal a game, that means your goalie has to be throw a shutout to win. That is a ridiculous expectation.

I would have liked St. Syr to make that save with 7 seconds left, but first of all, give a lot of credit to McLaughlin. That was a tough goal, backhanded, with a defender next to him. And blame a questionable change on the backside as well.

Wegworth led the league in game winning goals, so his absence the rest of the way will be felt. But plenty of other skaters could step up and take up the slack. Right now ND has only 1 player among the top-10 scorers in the league, and none in the top-10 for goals.

There are still games to play against every single league opponent and only OSU is more than 6 points ahead of the Irish, so still lots of opportunities to climb the standings ladder and finish well. But if the tourney started today, Notre Dame would be the first team left out.

At this point in the evolution of the program missing the NCAAs means the season is an unmitigated failure. Especially when halfway through the season the team was 12-5-1 and knocking on the door of being a number 1 seed somewhere.

How about being that team that comes from out of nowhere, makes it to the tourney with just a few games to spare, and wins the whole damn thing? That's what happened last year.

Starting to feel a lot like '10 or '12
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-14 14:54:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teams that should have been better but for some stupid reason just played like crap. I can't wrap my head as to what is wrong with this team, but it seems broken like those two teams were.

The 2009-2010 team had two things that really derailed
by wearendhockey  (2019-01-14 15:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

them. One was injuries. We couldn't go a weekend without someone ending up with a concussion (seemingly every time we played Miami) or some other injury that cost them multiple games. The other was awful leadership and a couple of highly selfish players who I thought made developing chemistry impossible.

2011-2012 was similar in that the leadership had a hard time kicking some guys into a more team-centric mode. I think too that first year in the Compton went to people's heads a little bit, maybe even the coaches. I thought Jackson really misused the goalies, as every time it looked like Summerhays was coming into form, he'd put Johnson back in, or he'd let Johnson play through 1 or 2 bad goals, but he'd yank Summerhays if a soft one got by.

Both those seasons though were huge disappointments coming off the previous years.

It feels like one of those years, but can't put a finger on
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-14 15:44:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why it feels that way. It just doesn't seem like this group is going to gel and come together in a way to make a run at the NCAA's. I want to be wrong about that, I really do.

The team has been offensively challenged for two seasons
by NH74Domer  (2019-01-13 11:13:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was pretty telling that Burke was the leading goal scorer for us last year right into the tournament despite registering only one or two goals in the second half to that point. The guys who moved on after last season accounted for nearly 40% of our goal scoring as well as all of
our leadership. This team is very young, so I’m confident that the leadership will emerge as it has with Jackson’s past teams; I’m less confident about the goal scoring.

You are not going to win many games scoring 1 or
by zahm82  (2019-01-13 13:05:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2 goals. This large Freshman Class has about 9 goals half-way thru the season, compared to the last large freshman class of 2010-2011, where the freshman scored over 75 goals for the year led by Lee (24 G) and Tynan (23 G). Our recruiting now seems predicated on keeping everyone for 3-4 years so we seem unlikely to get high-end scorers as freshmen. This is a very young team, made younger by the absence of Wegwerth and Oglevie.

Good point about the freshman
by wearendhockey  (2019-01-14 14:54:40)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The skaters from the 2011 freshman managed almost a half a point a game average, .41/game and the 2019 freshmen are only chipping in about a quarter point a game, .26/game. That class was aided though in large part by two absolute standouts on the scoresheet, Tynan and Lee. Without them, the other skaters managed just .2 points per game. But this class definitely does not (at least not yet) have that stud scoring machine like Tynan or Lee.

I'm hoping that there will be a breakthrough game here where 4 or 5 guys net goals and we put 6 or 7 on the board and it will start the team on a good roll.

2 goals in almost 80 SOGs this weekend *
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 11:23:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post