I was pretty pissed when the whistle blew
by Kayo (2019-01-21 10:23:28)

In reply to: Feel like they used to call it all the time in the 90s  posted by Boston Domer

"Bullshit" was one of the words I used. Barring a truly bizarre play, the whistle was the only thing that would have allowed a scoring chance in that situation. Alas, my conern was founded.

I suppose a player could have been on the ice on top of the puck. I couldn't see the puck on television because the boards were in the way, but I didn't see a player sprawled on the ice.

You are correct about the 90s, but the officiating approach has changed to favor continuous action over whistles and faceoffs. It's a change for the better.

I agree more continous action would be for the better.
by wearendhockey  (2019-01-21 10:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the biggest changes, as far as slowing play, has been goalies freezing the puck. While this is not a new phenomenon at all, it seems that back in the WCHA days, goalies rarely froze the puck. Shots on net either went in or were blocked back out into open ice or (hopefully) directed towards the corners. So far this year there have been an average of 61 faceoffs per game. I wish I could find statistics to back this up (if they even were kept or still exist) but it seems that when I was a wee lad the total faceoffs per game were more like 50. And this was in an era where 9 or 10 goals a night was common, and the 9 or 10 additional faceoffs those goals generated, versus the 5 or 6 combined goals in a game today.