I just heard Dave "The Hammer" Schultz on the radio
by garbageplate (2019-01-30 11:01:07)

In reply to: Documentary recommendation  posted by HoundDog1973

He was interviewed in Buffalo because he's going to be in town for a celebrity roast of Danny Gare. Anyway, he mentioned that he actually dreaded having to fight, but he knew that it was his role from the moment that he started his minor league career with a few fights (despite being a consistent scorer in juniors). When playing Boston, Terry O'Reilly would make it his responsibility to fight Schultz and the two eventually fought eight times over their careers.

Rob Ray often discusses his reticence and trepidation about fighting. Some people might think that he and Tie Domi (among others) mixing it up, but for Ray and probably for most, that wasn't the case.

My first Flyers game: Schultz hat trick, then he
by Dude87  (2019-02-01 09:45:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pummeled Brad Park for no good reason at all. The worst thing in hockey in 1973-1978 was to be up 3-0 or down 3-0 to the Flyers. Either way, shit was going down.

Those were classic ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-01-30 11:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not many people realize that one year (forget which) Taz nearly cracked the 100-point barrier. I'm pretty sure the Hammer never came close. Between him, Hound Kelly, Dornhoefer, and Homlgren that was a tough crew. Add in Booby Clark and his (very) loose stick - just ask Valeri Kharamov.

Unfortunately, those were all before my time
by garbageplate  (2019-01-30 15:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen highlights of the fog game between Buffalo and Philly with former Sabres announcer Jim Lorentz killing a bat, and heard some of the stories, but it's another world for me. Schultz never scored more than 40 points in a year and he said on his interview that he got sent down to Rochester by Scotty Bowman after a brief stint in Buffalo, which effectively ended his NHL career.

I enjoy hearing about those days. I'm sure I would've enjoyed that era of hockey.

EDIT- linking an interesting story that I found from Schultz from the NYT in 1982 with some regrets about his career.

I remember the fog game ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-01-30 16:26:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the clash of styles between the Bullies and the French Connection. Perreault was a guy that the lunatics in Montreal always thought they somehow got screwed on getting.