Conference tournament (edited) and some other stuff
by wearendhockey (2019-03-03 11:26:12)
Edited on 2019-03-03 12:32:58

OSU gets a bye. Notre Dame, Minnesota and Penn State host best two-of-three series against Michigan State, Michigan and Wisconsin

We went 3-0-1 against MSU, PSU was 1-2-1 against Wisconsin and Minn went 2-1-1 against Michigan.

We of course fared better on the road against MSU, sweeping the series in E. Lansing while managing only a tie in the second game in South Bend.
We held MSU to just 6 goals though in the 4 games, with 2 of them being garbage goals in a game we were leading 6-1 midway through the final period.

The quarter finals winners will be re-seeded for a single game semi final round, followed the next weekend by a single game final at the home of the higher remaining seed. If the seeds hold after next weekend, PSU will travel to Ohio State and we will host Minnesota, despite the fact they finished a game over .500 and we were right at .500 and lost 3 of 4 to them (thank the shootout and 3X3 OT for that). The way we played at home this season, maybe we can entice them to play the game at Mariucci (should the seeds hold of course).

Speaking of home woes, we weren't the only team to fare better on the road this season. 16 other teams were better away from home and one other team had the same record in true road games as they did at home.

Sacred Heart was 5-10-2 at home and 10-5-2 in away games, Lake Superior State was .500 (7-7-2) at home and 14-4 away from Taffey Abel arena and even Ohio State lost 5 more games at home than they did on the road. Cornell and Quinnipiac each lost 5 times at home but only twice on the road. Quinnipiac was an astounding 15-2-1 while traveling.

St. Cloud is the only team without a home loss, but they host Minnesota Duluth over the final weekend. They also finished 12-4-2 away from home. So far they've done a lot better with their new coach than Minnesota has done with their old one. Last year St. Cloud became the only overall #1 seed to lose to the overall #16 since the tournament expanded to 16 teams in 2003. This year they will probably be everyone's favorite to win it all. I still remain convinced that whoever wins on April 13th will be celebrating their school's first title.

2015???
by Hunt  (2019-03-04 21:45:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2015 when we hosted the regionals, I remember #1 Minnesota State going down to RIT in the first round. What I can't remember if RIT was the 16th seed, or if that was switched around for some reason

RIT was definitely the 16th overall seed that year.
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-04 22:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought North Dakota was the overall number 1 that year though. But you might be right to question it, because it may have been MSU, which would mean that year the overall 1 lost to the overall 16.

by Hunt  (2019-03-05 08:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember Minnesota State was the official #1 seed based on Pairwise.

I don't remember who the polls had as #1, as it's always tough to compare teams (either objectively or subjectively) from the NCHC and the WCHA.