More proof attending sporting events is a dying pastime:
by wearendhockey (2019-03-08 22:18:54)

The attendance at the Minnesota/Michigan game. Boxscore said 1835, and some reports were at puck drop there may have been fewer than 1000 in the building. Students probably on break, the state high school tournament might be going on, no one cares about Big Ten hockey, but you cannot possibly spin those numbers in a positive way.

Wasn't Friday the start of spring break for many colleges? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-10 14:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was brutal
by MNND  (2019-03-08 23:03:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terrible attendance. Switching between MN State High school tourney & the Wild playing at Florida. Only the high school games had fans in the stands. B1G has ruined college hockey for MN Gopher fans.

Crowd was reported to be between 800-1000...
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-09 10:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ohio State seems to have benefited from playing in a conference called the Big Ten, as has Notre Dame. But Wisconsin and Minnesota have most definitely not. Michigan State and Michigan still draw well and empty seats in their buildings are an indication of mediocre, or worse, hockey teams. Pedo State is still holding their own so far.

I know the State hockey tournament is still a bit of a big deal in MN, but years ago it was an even bigger deal. Minnesota drew 10,000 to their last WCHA home playoff game, against Bemidji State. It's just sort of sad to me to see them irrelevant in the sport. 800 people in a building that seats 10,000 says nothing but that.

College hockey attendance is becoming a problem ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-09 11:03:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

our friends in Chestnut hill haven't been drawing flies most of the year and it's not just because they're having a mediocre season. Some of it is probably due to changed student demographics. I also saw a game at PC a few weeks ago where there couldn't have been 500 people in the stands.

We have friends in Chestnut Hill?
by Kayo  (2019-03-09 18:55:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When did this happen?

I think both BU and BC have had trouble in recent seasons
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-09 13:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't thing either ever fills half their seats on a given night (no matter what the phony #s in the boxscores say), and they ain't alone.

I know people say the 60" Ultra High Def 4K 3D TVs are keeping people home, but I think there is more to it than that. TV was supposed to have ruined the live experience by around 1955. Then color TV and replay were supposed to have done it in by 1970. Then cable TV in the mid 1980s when more than half of all households finally subscribed.

I don't know for sure what it is, but I suspect the social media machines that are in almost everyone's hands 24/7 might have something to do with it.

You're right about attendance at both the last couple ..
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-09 15:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both used to regularly get 6K or so most nights. No longer. And I don't think it's just due to the recent W-L issues.

I think some of Boston's attendance speaks to the city
by 96_ND  (2019-03-09 14:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have lived in the Boston area for over 10 years now. To be honest, it is just not a college sports town. With the exception of Notre Dame playing BC in football I rarely hear of any events being sold out. With all the success that the pro teams have had in the area I just don't think that many people are interested in attending college sporting events.

I disagree on college hockey - until the past couple ..
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-09 14:41:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of years BC and BU generally drew good crowds. UML and Northeastern did, as well. You're right about other college sports but the falloff in hockey is recent and IMHO is not due to the appeal of pro sports.

Fair enough
by 96_ND  (2019-03-09 14:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard good things about games at BU, though I have never gone. One of my neighbors played hockey at Merrimack and I couldn’t tell you the last time he has been to a game.

All the conversations I have had recently about going to a hockey game has been about the Bruins. No one seems to care about going to a college hockey game. It is odd given the youth interest in the sport and the affordability of a college game.

Actually, UMass is getting some hype around Boston ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-09 15:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year, given the season it's having. Of course, it plays its home games 90 miles away, so that isn't a Boston attendance issue. NESN still covers a fair number of HE games, as well. Merrimack is probably not a good example, in part because it's never had a consistently good program and because its rink is tiny. I just don't think that your correct generalization about pro vs. college fits the hockey niche. In other words, the recent falloff is likely due to something else.

NESN seems to have some individual deals with teams.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-03-09 22:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For instance, there have been NU games on the channel this season that looked very much like they were basically produced by NU.

Both of you are forgetting the important part: Michigan lost
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-09 07:08:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Michigan sucks.

Of course nobody went to see that game.

Words of Wisdom!! *
by MNND  (2019-03-09 09:15:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post