TV
by Hunt (2019-03-27 11:35:13)
Edited on 2019-03-27 11:36:39

In reply to: (long)The in-game experience under such a system would be  posted by wearendhockey

The TV exposure argument is valid. I'll spare you the long post and drawn out details, but if you could get ESPN to commit to two channels for the first round, and one game on a second channel Fri/Sat of the second round, I think you can pretty easily get the tournament in with only two games on ESPN3, which is currently the case. (That does include the first round being 4 series THR/FRI/SAT and 4 series FRI/SAT/SUN and the second round 2 series THR/FRI/SAT and 2 series FRI/SAT/SUN, plus Friday late-afternoon games). Obviously it is much easier if a Denver or CC or ASU hosts a series to have them start at 8 or 8:30 local time and 10ish on the East Coast, but it's still possible without that. Both of those (the different days and the late-afternoon starts) aren't 100% ideal, but are fair and reasonable compromises to get essentially your entire tournament on TV...and you already have the regionals staggered and some late-afternoon weekday hockey.

I would love it. While most of my first post talked about atmosphere and optics, I also think best-of-3 is just a far better way to determine a champion in hockey than single elimination. Plus, the "best-of-3 to get to the final 4" kind of becomes college hockey's signature style, which is unique and would be consistent through both the conference and national tournaments.