This dumb format
by Hunt (2019-03-31 22:01:29)

In reply to: Definitely cheering for UMass  posted by DakotaDomer

There are so many things about this current format that suck and make it a horrible way to determine a champion.

That said, I will admit I underestimated UMass. I didn't respect Hockey East much this year, so didn't fully buy into them.

I was wrong. I agree playing early would have been better...but I don't think we were beating UMass either day this year.

I would have liked our chances as a rested team
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-31 23:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As it was, we held them off the board for nearly half a game. UMass was Hockey East's highest scoring team, and had 4 of the top 5 points leaders. Their first goal came as a result of a classic "my legs are gone so I need to use my stick to slow you up" penalty and power play. We got by on adrenaline in the first period but we were spent after that. We looked completely different to me than we did in our last 4 games. Not saying we were going to win, but with a rested team our experience and coaching were bound to make things a whole lot more even. Had we somehow managed a 4-0 win of our own on Friday with maybe a third period where we didn't have a single stressful shift, Saturday's game might have looked completely different.

It certainly brought back those horrible memories of the
by other_guy  (2019-04-01 10:55:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2007 tournament. A double OT win vs Alabama-Huntsville left us, IMO, gassed for the following game vs MSU which we ended up losing 2-1. MSU would go on to win the NC.
2007 was an outstanding team, and to this date, feel had we not had that double OT game vs Al-Huntsville, we would have won our NC.

There are posters here (me included)
by wearendhockey  (2019-04-01 13:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and some guys on that team who share that belief.

Then again, playing a minute more of OT last year didn't keep us from winning the next day. Of course we were the early game, so that bought us 4 extra hours of rest. And MTU probably took less out of us than Clarkson and we faced a better team in UMass the next day than PC was last year....
God it's frustrating thinking about all the "what might have beens" with this program. Waiting for the Redwings to win after so many of their good teams fell short taught me some patience, but I was 22 years younger when that finally happened.