Minnesota State blew the game Saturday.
by Mr Wednesday (2019-04-01 00:11:24)

In reply to: it could be worse.  posted by wearendhockey

They had a 3 - 0 lead and could have scored the 4 - 1 goal near the end of the period, but they went offsides on the zone entry so it was overturned on review (and as these things go, it was one of the more straightforward ones as MSU scored in the immediate ensuing action).

PC tied it up in the second, but I thought that MSU looked like the better team in the third... right up until one of their players took a boneheaded major+game penalty for contact to the head. PC scored two on the power play and that was it.

Incredibly bad time to commit a stupid penalty.
by wearendhockey  (2019-04-01 10:12:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have to hand it to PC though. How many times do teams fail to capitalize on those sorts of opportunities? Notre Dame was given a similar one just seconds into the third period on Friday. Had we potted 2 or 3 goals on that power play and carried a 3-2 or 4-2 lead into the rest of the third period we might have seen a different team on Saturday.

MSU's penalty kill was awful and it cost them the game.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-04-01 12:49:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think PC had three power play goals, and all three were from an open player on the back post. I thought that MSU's weak side low player was cheating to the middle too much, but I'm not exactly an expert on hockey tactics. Maybe PC was doing something interesting to open that man up?

It was fundamental hockey 101
by wearendhockey  (2019-04-01 13:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keep your feet moving, proper spacing to make sure it wasn't unnecessarily easy for MSU to clog passing lanes with either sticks or bodies and support the puck. Often enough scoring goals is as much about the guy without the puck in the seconds leading to a goal. During a PP that is magnified.

It was just that it was much too easy.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-04-02 23:03:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clearly, that's not the norm for either PC or MSU, so I was basically wondering if it might have been partly due to something schematic, vs. just MSU playing especially poorly / PC playing especially well.

Not sure
by Wearendhockey  (2019-04-03 13:04:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't remember a lot now but I don't recall looking at the positioning of PC players thinking I was seeing something new fangled or out of the ordinary PP configurations. Same with the MSU PK. I think it really was just as simple as PC executing on the ice with correct positioning and opportune puck and skate movement. Guys without the puck being in the right place at the right time is so fleeting too, sometimes I think it all boils down to making your own luck.