5 shutouts in the 12 games
by wearendhockey (2019-04-01 10:01:19)
Edited on 2019-04-01 10:24:52

In reply to: Just read a tweet  posted by Hunt

All among the 4 teams that advanced (DU and UMass both had 2 and PC had the other one). None of the teams that won a 1st round game but failed to win the regional final managed one.

As much as I think there is good goaltending, I also think this is the product of modern hockey and some offensive shortcomings. Teams have found a way to shut down an offense if they really put their minds to it, but even good offenses cannot necessarily accomplish the same thing in reverse. I have certain viewpoints on how the game has evolved in a bad way offensively (and I think that to be true at all levels) but those are arguments for different days.

I also look at Notre Dame and our inability to put the puck in the net at many times during the season. It isn't just a great defense that shuts us down, it is our own lack of scoring punch. 8 different teams managed to hold us to 1 or no goals this season, and not all of them are known to play great defense or have elite NCAA level goaltending.

The 4 teams that advanced averaged 3.5 goals in their games. We know what scoring 3 goals a game would have meant to our record. We have to find a more consistent approach. I doubt Jackson and his staff will institute an entirely different system for next season but more offensive punch has to be on their minds. The 4 teams that advanced ranked 4,5,6 and 7 in goals allowed this year, but 3 of the 4 averaged at least 11th in goals scored. We don't need to be the 1984 Edmonton Oilers, but it's a myth that defense wins championships. You need to be at least very good on both sides of the rink and the scoring margin bears this out, as 3 teams were in the top 10 and DU was 12th.

Counting this year and the 4 seasons Notre Dame made a FF, the 20 teams in those FFs averaged the 11th best scoring offense during the season. Only 3 teams were outside the top 20 and none outside the top 28. Again, you have to be able to count on your offense.