Keeping a talented second-round pick for three years
by Boston Domer (2019-04-01 11:59:20)
Edited on 2019-04-01 12:04:38

In reply to: Dang.  posted by wearendhockey

after he was drafted is definitely in line with my expectations. Peeke had one season in the USHL, but did not play in the league past his high school graduation/draft year. A fourth year would have been a nice, but unexpected bonus. I'm not sure what his academic status is, but players like Ian Cole have gone pro and graduated after just three seasons.

Regarding your point of recruiting around it, I would anticipate Jackson knew this was a strong possibility. Departures like Tinordi leaving without getting on campus and Palmieri darting in the middle of the summer can put the program in a bind with regards to recruiting. This definitely falls into a different category.

Likewise, how lucky is UMass, having Makar (4th overall pick) give them two full seasons after he was drafted?

Isn’t Morrison a 2nd round pick as well? Will he go early? I
by zahm82  (2019-04-02 01:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don’t think we will be recruiting any more 2nd round talent anymore listening to Jackson and the importance he places on guys staying 3 or 4 years.

The Avs are currently at 48 contracts, so two to spare.
by ugoirish  (2019-04-02 17:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of them is obviously for Makar who will likely sign within hours of UMass' last game, particularly if they make the playoffs. In comments Sunday Jared Bednar made it pretty clear he would use him if he had the chance. That would mean there's one left for Morrison. On one hand I don't see them pressuring him to sign because they have a bunch of young gritty two-way forwards in their AHL/NHL system right now - AJ Greer, JT Compher, Vadislav Kamenev, Matt Nieto, Matt Calvert, Shane Bowers etc. On the other hand they got burned with Will Butcher playing all four years and going UFA. As it usually is it'll be Morrison's decision, will be interesting what he decides to do.

I don't think Jackson said that ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-02 09:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he mentioned NTDP guys who are "under the radar". The implication is that high-mid first rounders are off the list. Going further than that is dumb and he knows it. Both Peeke and Morrison have been there three years - same as Lee. So I'm not sure what point you're making here.

I'm extrapolating what Jackson said about the NTDP, but look
by zahm82  (2019-04-02 11:27:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at who we are recruiting. Outside of Morrison and Peeke at round 2, the majority of our draft picks are 5-7 rounders with Pivonka being a 4th. There are currently 31 1st and 2nd rounders playing D1 hockey with BU having 5 players and that model hasn't worked out for them

The vast majority of kids who leave after one ..
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-02 13:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are first rounders and the moment they come in everybody figures one year, two at the absolute max. That's true of the ones who have been stiffing BC and BU the last few years. Not a surprise in the bunch. We may not land 2-rounders but I can't see Jackson not going after a kid we can land at that level (which you don't know until they get drafted anyway). As I said, Peeke lasted three and Morrison has, as well.

I'm happy with elite talent staying 3 years.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-04-03 07:58:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read it the same way
by Boston Domer  (2019-04-02 09:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he especially means one-and-dones or players who never make it to college hockey

Yeah - as I pointed out, both Peeke and ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-02 11:22:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Morrison have done three. Not seeing the connection involving late round 1 - Round 2 guys.

You need some elite talent as well... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-04-02 08:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How much is a contract Peeke signed generally worth? *
by Wolfetone  (2019-04-01 13:22:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meant to add that includes signing bonus ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-01 13:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seems unlikely he gets any meaningful "performance bonuses", which is how the McDaves and the Eichels can go above the ceiling.

Entry level max is $925K, IIRC ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-01 13:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the other issue is length based on age. I think Peeke might be 2 years. There's also a lot of jockeying to "burn" the first year by getting in an NHL game in April.

Thx... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-04-01 13:57:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only sure way is have a guy like Fox ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-01 12:08:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who doesn't like where he ended up in the draft. But that's a complete crap shoot, especially since Fox may have decided that only because Carolina added Hamilton to their RH shots on the blue line.