It's mostly a skill you build playing the game.
by Porpoiseboy (2019-04-02 14:42:55)

In reply to: Perhaps a Hockey 101 question re substitutions  posted by El Kabong

A shift is often a full sprint while on ice. A player's body communicates to him or her pretty clearly, it's time to get off. Sometimes things get in the way. Defense coverage, an icing call that disallows a switch, some other things. But for the most part it's just a skill one builds. You skate your shift, you get off, you rest three shifts, you skate your shift, you get off.

Unless you're Alexi Kovalev
by TCIrish03  (2019-04-02 15:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For those who don't know, Mike Keenan got pissed that Kovalev was stretching his shifts too long...so he gave him what he wanted. He made Kovalev stay on the ice the final 5+ minutes of the period. It backfired though, as he drew 2 penalties and scored a goal.

Keenan misunderstood - Kovie's idea of a "shift" ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-02 16:26:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

usually involved hanging out in the right face off circle in the O Zone, regardless of where the puck was. I watched him one night (I think he was on Ottawa at the time) where there was zero chance he needed a shower.

As a Pens fan, his career is an enigma
by TCIrish03  (2019-04-03 15:59:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On paper, in terms of career G/A/Pts he is very close to his contemporary and HOFer, Sergei Fedorov. Yet for some reason I always remember him as an underachiever; he could either be the best on the ice, or invisible. Maybe one of the most talented but most inconsistent?

But he made up for it occasionally with plays like this:

No question, but "inconsistent" was his career....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-03 16:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was one of the guys who made some people develop reservations about the attitude/dressing room effect of "Russians". For part of the Great 8's career I heard him referred to as "Kovalev with a Better Shot". (To give Ovie his due he worked and became a solid two-way player after Boudreau got fired.) IMHO Federeov was a better player (on and off the ice) and IIRC had more big years for G and P. As you suggest, the indelible impression Kovie left was "this guy should be better". I have trouble seeing Kovalev lasting with Scotty Bowman the way Federov did and he seemed to always have "issues" in NY, Mtl, Pittsburgh, and Ottawa.

Yep, but try doing that when the guy behind the bench...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-02 14:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

doesn't want it. I recall being near the bench at a game when two guys were coming off on their own and I heard "what the f do you f'g think you're doing?" It's really up to the staff, especially when the bench is shortened or there's a matching contest going on. Scotty Bowman would occasionally mix up lines/pairings so that the guys on the other side couldn't make decisions on their own. And some coaches are control freaks about changes.

Oh yes definitely. Especially when it counts.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-04-02 14:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's probably 80/20. 80% of the time El K won't ever see anything overt driving subbing.