They need to blow this system up
by DakotaDomer (2019-04-20 14:42:08)

In reply to: NCAA regional sites for 2020 and 2021 announced  posted by Mr Wednesday

There’s not enough sites and willing hosts to ensure decent attendance.

These announcements are an embarrassment too

- source KVLY
“This is a great mix of regional sites,” said Steve Metcalf, chair of the Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Committee and deputy director of athletics at New Hampshire. “We have some venues that have hosted many times, some that haven’t hosted in a while, and one that will be hosting for the first time. All of them are great hockey facilities, and will provide our student-athletes with a tremendous experience.”

The Times Union Center will be hosting an NCAA hockey event for the 12th time, but it will be the first time back in the venue since 2016. The DCU Center has hosted more NCAA regional games than any other site in the country, as this will be the 16th time the Division I men’s ice hockey tournament will be held in the building. The PPL Center will be hosting the Midwest regional for the third straight year after becoming the first arena in the state to host an NCAA hockey regional in 2018. NCAA hockey will be making its first appearance at the Budweiser Events Center, and in fact, it marks the first time an NCAA tournament event has been held in the state of Colorado since the 2008 Men’s Frozen Four was at the Pepsi Center in Denver.

Most coaches are fine with it
by wearendhockey  (2019-04-21 11:50:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the NCAA makes money off of it, at least $600,000 whether buildings are packed or empty. It's not changing anytime in the future.

I thought change was inevitable when they went to announcing regionals just 12 months ahead of time instead of always having at least the next two years lined up. I also thought the inclusion of the Compton as a site meant that too. I was wrong. The current format is also not a problem at all with the eastern portion of the sport. Attendance has been decent, at least, and if fans want to go, it isn't that hard for them to make it to games.

This format also maximizes both the ease of televising the entire tournament and the ease of fans who care about watching it being able to do so. The inclusion of a regional in the Mountain time zone also means the TV window may be a little more workable as well and we won't have quite as much overlap in the start time for games.

If we ever see the return of games prior to the FF being played at the higher seed's rink, the TV coverage will be altered to the point it might not be worth showing on traditional TV. To me that is a huge negative.

I don't follow college hockey all that closely, but why
by Tex Francisco  (2019-04-28 16:44:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't they have the regionals at NHL arenas in areas in and around the college hockey footprint? Basically, why don't 2 of Detroit, Chicago, and the Twin Cities and 2 of Boston, the NYC area, and Philadelphia host the regionals virtually every single year? The Frozen Four can then support a larger variety of hosts, such as Tampa, DC, Denver, etc.

They'd never come close to filling those ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-04-30 09:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they can't fill even smaller venues. Plus you'd have NHL scheduling issues.

and scheduling issues with the NBA and college BB
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-04-30 15:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

primarily men's. There are 11 NHL teams that share arenas with 12 NBA teams (the LA Kings share Staples with the Lakers and Clippers, although the Clippers are looking at a new arena in Inglewood, near the new NFL stadium and the old Forum). Those include Boston, NY, Brooklyn/Long Island, Philadelphia, DC, Detroit, and Chicago. Each of those arenas bids regularly for NCAA men's BB tournament games.

Good additional points ...l
by BIGSKYND  (2019-05-01 13:45:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and nothing 2500 fannies in an 18,000 seat venue