Who here knows how college club hockey works?
by DakotaDomer (2019-08-23 12:50:56)

My nephew is trying out this week at GVSU and apparently there’s divisions and multiple teams and recruiting and all this jazz I never thought existed.

Will he need to wait a year as a frosh or can he play right away if he’s good enough?

Will my brother and sister in law need to contribute a ton of money as well to his expenses?

What kind of time commitment is it away from his academics?

My son played for Loyola - Baltimore (‘12)
by NDFlyer  (2019-09-12 17:12:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GVSU sounds more organized than his club team. Loyola had one team snd Freshman rotated dressing to fill the game roster. The hockey level was great

If I remember, we paid ice time and refs ( the amount was similar to what we paid for annual high school fees). The school paid for vans to transport to close games an they paid for motor coaches and hotel rooms for road trips. Loyola made nationals twice in my son’s four years. They had a reputation as being the smart kids because they were all 19 to 22. Most teams were comprised of older kids who tried American Juniors for a few years. The Loyola team was more like the Johnstown Chiefs than the smart kids.

Good luck to him
by montroy28 (click here to email the poster)  (2019-08-30 13:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Facility is 5 minutes away from us. My son is a squirt there this year for the local club team.

I know someone who played club at GVSU and there are indeed multiple teams. It's highly competitive there. If you'd like I can reach out to him. Email included.

No kidding on highly competitive
by DakotaDomer  (2019-09-08 10:25:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He didn’t make the teams this year

I believe he was the highest scoring defenseman in his state at his level...I thought for sure he’d make it.

Lots of hockey talent at GVSU apparently. I wonder if their top team should take on MSU for fun

My son had planned on playing club hockey at Iowa State
by Nodakirish  (2019-08-27 23:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Division 1 ACHA club hockey. They have D1 and D3 teams. It was a big commitment with fundraising and a lot of travel. Games scheduled from Arizona, Oklahoma and West Virginia. Also North Dakota.
As a freshman it was too much for him with late night practices and studying in an engineering program.

Pretty typical of these programs ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-08-28 12:33:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

travel and fundraising can eat up a lot of time. Some also charge for a wide variety of things, including captain's practices, tryouts, etc.

They play in a nice facility
by graNDfan  (2019-08-24 17:11:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My kids learned to skate there. Don’t know anything about the college club scene though