How does the NCAA ruling on image/likeness impact
by fontoknow (2019-10-29 20:17:11)

College hockey?

Do we see players start passing on the Ontario Hockey League and play for MN or UM or ND and get a personal services contract with Suave?

Few athletes in any college sport will make big money
by Kayo  (2019-10-31 15:58:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I won't be surprised if there are local opportunities to do appearances and promotions. For example, one or more ND hockey players might be invited to do an appearance at Dick's Sporting Goods at about the time the local youth hockey season is starting. Bring the kids to meet the players, get autographs, and buy the season's skates and sticks.

I can envision minor sports athletes having as much of this kind of opportunity as the football players will. Maybe not for quite as much money, but appearances like this won't make anyone rich regardless of sport.

I'll disagree on your main theme.
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-11-01 15:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get the feeling plenty of people have wanted to pay recruits forever. Many schools have been suspended for such things while it was disallowed. Having an open path to pay athletes with no penalties to me looks like an opportunity for tons of athletes to make tons of money. I think this will most definitely be exploited by institutions as well as they will reap competitive advantage benefits from their athletes's notoriety. I see it hitting biggest in football & basketball, obviously. I'd not argue with you too strongly that I think college hockey players are gonna git rich, though. Agree with you regarding most of it.

That's the issue ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-10-31 16:25:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whether it beats the the CHL "stipend"? Who knows. (Caveat: I'd be shocked if it beats the "stipend" that guaranteed high 1st round picks get)

Hard to say - the CHL Juniors pitch ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-10-30 10:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for all 3 leagues is the allegedly better route to the NHL because you're playing twice as many games, plus it's hockey full-time. Not sure this deal - which isn't even sketched out yet and is a ways off - will change that. Caveat: I'm not agreeing that it's in fact a better route these days.