This Notre Dame team seems quicker than in a long time
by wearendhockey (2019-11-09 11:24:14)

They really like to stretch the ice, and maybe that's why they look as fast as they do, but there are just a ton of guys who are explosive skaters. They are getting to way more than half of the 50/50 pucks.

Long passes are hitting their mark more often too, and they are not turning the puck over.

Morris looked sharp last night. The second OSU goal was a shot placed as perfectly as it could be and they scouted Morris well. The first goal went off an Irish stick. You seem to get two kinds of games out of Morris. One, he gives you every chance to win. The other, he is flat out the best goalie in the college game. You can sure take your chances with a goalie like that in the pipes. To me his strongest trait is mental. He makes good decisions on just when to jump into the fray and when to maintain position. Good goalies sometimes make the wrong choice there but he never seems to.

And that penalty kill... wow. You get sort of used to Notre Dame teams killing penalties, but it looks phenomenal this year. One of I think just five schools to have given up 1 or no PP goals on the year, and two of those are Ivy League teams that have only player a couple of games. It helps that we're typically disciplined, taking fewer penalty minutes per game than the other B1G teams.

Tonight should be interesting. I hope the boys don't focus too much on the crass way OSU walked off the ice last night. Focus a little maybe, but just play your game.

You make the key point about focus ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-09 15:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just channel it into playing the right way every shift in all 3 zones.

I’ve definitely had that sense but it’s good to see you say
by 1NDGal  (2019-11-09 12:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it.

They feel as put-together and methodical as the 2008-09 team but a lot faster.

Agree on all points ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-09 12:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd add specifically that decisions, effort, and positioning (of everybody) in the DZ is top flight and that contributes to the appearance of speed and transition. I'm even seeing some improvement in what has been sort of a chronic issue in the past - movement on the PP> But as
I've said ad nauseum, that is a frequent issue in the NHL, as well.