I like how this team is showing themselves to be
by wearendhockey (2019-11-17 14:51:45)
Edited on 2019-11-17 14:53:42

perhaps the most resilient team in college hockey. You don't win a lot of games when you trail by multiple goals, or at any point in the third period, yet we've done just that in 4 of the last 5 games.

I like how they seem to finding enough players to score big, timely goals. They are really giving you a feel that they won't be out of any game as long as they just need a goal or two.

I didn't like the too many players penalty last night. It was an egregiously boneheaded one, and it resulted in a PP goal. Our special teams also left too much to be desired overall. We went 0-3 on the PP on the weekend. They scored 3 PP goals.

The PP looks like it is settling into one of those grooves where it goes 2 for 55 over a long stretch and you start to wish you could just decline a penalty in hockey like you do in football. Endless failure on the PP often seems to bleed into your entire offense. Let's see them nip this lull in the bud before it plows into the Christmas holidays or the new year.

Morris seems to be developing a specific flaw in his game. I don't know if goalies have a "tell" or something akin to tipping pitches like you sometimes see in baseball, but if so he's tipping something. Most of goals he has given up this year, and especially this weekend, had a similar look. Glove hand high, over the shoulder. It seems to be a trend. He and Jackson need to discover a fix to that flaw.

Definitely some areas of the game that need attention. If this team is still displaying the intangible positives to their game and finding ways to spread around the scoring come March and April, that is how you win those big games. But we need to see improvement in a couple of big areas to ensure we get there. This is a good team, but one that needs to show more in a couple of very key areas.

On the "tell" I didn't see any of the W goals this weekend
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-17 15:34:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish our f'g video showed those. I can't say in the games I have watched that I saw anything glaring about the glove hand. In fact, he made some big saves last weekend because he had his glove just above pad level. A lot of times a guy just has a good glove or not, and the position issue with younger G actually can be carrying it too high. I also put less stock in guys targeting a G based on something like that in NCAA as opposed to NHL - much less video and the shooters generally aren't that skilled to "pick" in split-second decisions on the ice.