I've often noted that many of Notre Dame's better teams
by wearendhockey (2020-01-17 23:38:05)

have been great third period teams. Early on in the season in fact we were doing well in that regard, outscoring opponents 16-6 in the third period on the way to the 7-0-1 start. Since then Notre Dame has managed just 6 third period goals in 15 games, and only 2 in the last nine games. Since the opening unbeaten streak, they've been outscored 21-6 in the third period.

You won't win a lot of games like that, especially when you are struggling to score anyway. To me this is a huge issue. It shows a lack of focus. It shows a lack of leadership when a team is more often than not unable to play 60 minutes. I wonder too if it shows a lack of conditioning or toughness.

I also think I'd like to see Bishel get the majority of time in the net from here on out. It would be nice if the team knew going into next year he can handle more than a fill-in role, or the 1 or 2 games Jackson has been giving a back-up goalie for years now. It might be the only thing this team accomplishes the rest of the way because right now there is nothing that makes me think this team is going to play beyond the first weekend of March.

Don't we have another goalie that's red shirting this year? *
by btd  (2020-01-20 19:02:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, apparently Dylan St Cyr is taking a redshirt year.
by wearendhockey  (2020-01-20 19:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which means Bishel was probably not likely going to be anything but a number 3, but if there is any chance he could develop into a first string netminder, he needs get some real game time. I'm not sure playing Morris every night is going to matter much to the bottom line. He could be playing at a Richter award level, and if Notre Dame is going to struggle to score 2 goals a game, he's going to lose a lot anyway.

I wouldn’t mind a Friday/Saturday goalie split
by Ahoya06  (2020-01-21 20:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s how they managed it with Morris and St. Cyr after Petersen left, until Cale won the job outright.

A platoon gives Bishel some experience and a tryout of sorts, and also keeps Morris fresh if they’re fighting for their lives in March.