Wow . . . that's disconcerting. Meanwhile, Long Island Univ
by other_guy (2020-05-23 11:50:57)
Edited on 2020-05-23 11:59:36

In reply to: UA-Huntsville drops hockey (link)  posted by Irishthinclad

is starting as a club sport with the ultimate goal of becoming a Division I team . . . kinda emulating Arizona State.

The University of Saint Thomas in Minny may also be trying
by Zahm82  (2020-06-03 00:07:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to become a D1 program given that their league recently expelled them from their conference because they were too good!

I don't believe becoming division 1 is a goal, I think
by wearendhockey  (2020-05-23 13:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they are going straight to a division 1 program. The Coronavirus issues may have delayed their original planning, but they were supposedly going to field an independent team this upcoming season. If they still manage to do so, the absence of Huntsville on some schedules might open the door for them to schedule a full season.

Correct
by Hunt  (2020-05-24 12:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's what I heard as well. I believe they are planning on playing a hybrid D1/club schedule for a couple years as they ramp up, but the plan (at least was) to immediately implement the process of becoming a D1 program.