Minnesota-Duluth is 2 games away from something
by wearendhockey (2021-03-30 12:21:14)

that hasn't happened in almost 70 years, winning a 3rd straight NCAA hockey championship. Michigan accomplished the feat in 1951-1953 and it hasn't happened since then.

Standing in the way of their possible 3-peat and 4th title overall are three teams each seeking their first, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State and Massachusetts. For St. Cloud and Massachusetts this will be a second Frozen Four. For Minnesota State, a first finally after failing to even win a game in their first 6 NCAA tournament trips.

It would be hard to bet against Scott Sandelin and the UMD Bulldogs. Sandelin's NCAA tournament record is 22-6. Duluth has succeeded as a high seed and a low seed. His teams are always battle tested, coming out of the NCHC. Since the conference shuffles in 2013, NCHC teams have claimed 12 of the 28 FF slots. 3 different NCHC teams have won the title and their conference winning streak stands at 4 years.

The other three teams were fairly dominent in their 6 games to get to the FF, with Minnesota State's come-from-behind OT win against Quinnipiac being the only contest of the 6 decided by fewer than 3 goals. As most are aware, UMD needed 2 1/2 games to win their only tournament match, a 3-2 FIVE OT win over North Dakota. Luckily for them, the two-week break between the regionals and the FF is still in place.

As a fan with no dog in the hunt, I'd like to see another first time winner. With no team among the 4 to root for (obviously) and no team to root against (for me, BC or Michigan) I wouldn't mind seeing any of the 3 other teams besides Duluth win. After going 18 seasons without seeing a first time winner in this tournament there was a 5 season stretch from 2011-2015 with four first time winners. I'd like to see a Minnesota State/UMass final with Minnesota State claiming the hardware.

What's their secret?
by TWO  (2021-03-31 13:30:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is their coach really great, do they have a pipeline to top Canadian players?

I think Sandelin deserves a ton of credit.
by wearendhockey  (2021-03-31 14:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I kinda doubt the number of Canadians on the roster has anything to do with it. As one would probably expect, most of their players come from Minnesota. The 4 rostered skaters who are Canadian have amounted for only 5 goals.

His teams don't give up goals in postseason play (NCHC or NCAA tourneys). Period. Don't count on scoring more than 2 goals against them. In fact, don't even count on two. North Dakota just played them more than two games worth of hockey and couldn't score more than 2 goals in the entire 140+ minutes of play. Even AFTER a goalie change in the 4th OT. They make few unforced errors. They combine some of the best fundamental hockey with a good mix of size and speed. And right now they seem to be playing with a huge amount of confidence at just the right time.

Do you know if they have a win-streak record yet?
by DakotaDomer  (2021-03-31 07:07:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think they would be close or already have it. Michigan’s tournaments were likely shorter.

I like Sandelin and Duluth in general but enough is enough. I’m also still sore they were given an unearned bye.

Yes, they own the record with 9 NCAA tournament wins
by wearendhockey  (2021-03-31 09:40:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in a row. A number of schools have won 8 in a row.

Boston College is the most recent, winning 8 in a row in 2008 and 2010. They missed the tourney in 2009.

Minnesota won 8 in a row from 2002-2004 with three wins to claim the title in 2002 (the last year of the 12 team tournament), 4 to win it in 2003 and then beating Notre Dame in 2004 before falling to... Minnesota Duluth in the Midwest Regional final.

Denver also won 8 in a row in claiming back-to-back titles in 2004 and 2005. They failed to make the tournament then for 2 seasons before losing their next NCAA tourney game in 2008.

North Dakota won 8 in a row from 1980 through 1984 before losing in the Frozen Four to... Minnesota-Dulluth. That includes wins in a 2-game total-goal series in the opening (quarter-final) round in 1984 as well as in 1982 in their run to the title.

If you want to count the old consolation game they used to play in the final four, Michigan once won 7 in a row from 1950-1953.