Minnesota-Duluth is 2 games away from something
by wearendhockey (2021-03-30 12:21:14)

that hasn't happened in almost 70 years, winning a 3rd straight NCAA hockey championship. Michigan accomplished the feat in 1951-1953 and it hasn't happened since then.

Standing in the way of their possible 3-peat and 4th title overall are three teams each seeking their first, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State and Massachusetts. For St. Cloud and Massachusetts this will be a second Frozen Four. For Minnesota State, a first finally after failing to even win a game in their first 6 NCAA tournament trips.

It would be hard to bet against Scott Sandelin and the UMD Bulldogs. Sandelin's NCAA tournament record is 22-6. Duluth has succeeded as a high seed and a low seed. His teams are always battle tested, coming out of the NCHC. Since the conference shuffles in 2013, NCHC teams have claimed 12 of the 28 FF slots. 3 different NCHC teams have won the title and their conference winning streak stands at 4 years.

The other three teams were fairly dominent in their 6 games to get to the FF, with Minnesota State's come-from-behind OT win against Quinnipiac being the only contest of the 6 decided by fewer than 3 goals. As most are aware, UMD needed 2 1/2 games to win their only tournament match, a 3-2 FIVE OT win over North Dakota. Luckily for them, the two-week break between the regionals and the FF is still in place.

As a fan with no dog in the hunt, I'd like to see another first time winner. With no team among the 4 to root for (obviously) and no team to root against (for me, BC or Michigan) I wouldn't mind seeing any of the 3 other teams besides Duluth win. After going 18 seasons without seeing a first time winner in this tournament there was a 5 season stretch from 2011-2015 with four first time winners. I'd like to see a Minnesota State/UMass final with Minnesota State claiming the hardware.

Replies: