I'm surprised too
by ndmd99 (2022-04-09 15:27:29)

In reply to: I always wonder when college hockey players  posted by wearendhockey

But all it takes is 1 scout to like him to get signed. I can't imagine he had a ton of options/leverage, so when he was offered the ELC he was smart to take it.

News came almost 2 weeks after we ended the season, so he was probably a plan B option for Toronto after they struck out trying to sign someone else (maybe a player whose season ended on Thurs night?).

I don't see his goal scoring translating much at higher levels. He was pretty much a high volume shooter w/ a low shooting %. He was red hot early on, but regressed back to his more normal shooting % as the season progressed.

I bet there was a scout who watched the MI game(s). Those were Ellis' best showings. Not just scoring. He had a number of breakaway chances (that he didn't finish) and played a big role in shutting down all that future NHL talent.

He's undersized, but has NHL speed. He's fearless and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Probably a career AHL guy, but maybe breaks into NHL as a 4th line/checking winger (so his scoring isn't as big of a need). I follow the Avs, and his signing is similar to Logan O'Connor a couple years ago. O'Connor was a undersized junior at DU w/ underwhelming scoring stats. But now he's a regular on the Avs 3rd/4th line (w/ brief stints filling in for injuries on 1st/2nd due to his speed) who can PK and is tenacious on the forecheck.

Ellis leaving likely opens up some unexpected scholarship space. With how these roster events so closely play out (e.g. Pivonka goes in portal and almost immediately we have his replacement C w/ Primeau), I wonder if Ty Smilanic may come on board (he entered portal this week as a surprise so there may be some things going on behind-the-scenes). He played at NTDP w/ Slaggert. A goal scoring F is need w/ Ellis going. Joining a line w/ Slaggert (and probably Primeau) would be a solid selling point.

Replies: