Look at the bigger picture
by ndmd99 (2022-04-10 16:04:59)

In reply to: Smilanic seems like he would be a nice addition  posted by wearendhockey

I get what you're saying. There isn't that dynamic, elite, highlight reel scoring recruit coming in. JJ keeps trying. It'll happen, just not next season. But overall we should have a good upgrade in F scoring.

We're losing 3 centers (G Slag, Burke, and Pivonka). Slaggert will be tough to replace (but Primeau is probably as good as one can hope for). Burke was one of the odd men out as he got less ice time late in season when games got tougher. Pivonka was an offensive black hole (believe he returned OSU weekend in Dec and that's when the scoring probs started popping up). I though JJ might bring him back since he wore a C, but he made the tough call with the Omaha "trade".

Strand will likely be an upgrade over Pivonka/Burke. He scored some high end snipes toward the end of the year. People forget he centered 2 high profile NCAA scorers (Knies and Mazur) in USHL and matched them in PPG. He has legit scoring ability. Need him to keep developing.

JJ has a couple guys coming in from AJHL next season. Don't think he has recruited from there before, but there is some big talent that can come out of there (Savoie and Benning for DU last night were both AJHL products).
Jayden Davis was the center that committed right after Cooley decommit. I'm curious to see how he adjusts to NCAA, b/c it seems like a good number of his goals are snipes off the bar.

I think the 4C will be Brennan Ali, although still tough to tell. He's coming out of HS, so maybe the plan is USHL for a year. Probably similar scoring as Strand this year.

Overall, I see a probable upgrade at center.

Wing we lost Adams. Think Maddox Fleming was supposed to replace him, but late Nov we got a commit from Niko Jovanovic. Around that same time, Fleming left NTDP for USHL where he has been getting more ice time. I wonder if that's a sign Fleming may be pushed back a year and Jovanovic is the replacement for Adams.

Jovanovic fills a major gap in the roster. Plays on same team as Jayden Davis. 20 yo big F. Team shows him as 6'4" 210 lbs (although most other sites show 6'2" or 6'3"). A good chunk of his scoring is physical play within 15 ft of the net. On PP he is either screening the G or flashing to the bumper spot for a one-timer. He should be a massive upgrade and provides different skillset we haven't had in recent years.

Incidentally, looking at the transfers and recruits it still looks like JJ wants more size on the roster. Most of the players coming in are 6'1"+.

Linked a clip from game last night. Jovanovic cycles the puck out of the corner, sneaks in behind the D, gives him a subtle shove to gain space, screens the G, and tips the wrister from Davis. ND needs play like that.

It would not shock me if Jovanovic is a surprise wild card that comes in a pots 15+ goals. And his ability to screen the G enhances opportunities for other to score. Prime example would be Rolston -- he loves firing off low percentage unscreened wristers from the periphery. If he's on a line with Jovanovic, those previously low % shots may actually turn into goals/assists.

Ellis is a loss. And I can't tell if it was expected. We may be looking for another transfer (or maybe Fleming will be the guy?). Curious to see how things shake out in the next couple weeks.

Replies: