You know Edzo coached Crosby, Malkin, and Letang, right?
by siegfried08 (2022-05-16 11:54:33)

In reply to: I envy you-I could feel the energy even via TBS  posted by knutesteen

Thought he was professional as always, but I doubt he had a rooting interest.

And Canes in 2. That was a historically unlucky/lucky performance, both in terms of last night's game and the series writ large. Pens xGF was in the mid-60s, which is unheard of for a losing team. Meanwhile, aside from Games 3 and 4, Shesterkin was basically his MVP self in terms of goals saved above expected. Goaltending strikes again, same as it ever was.

Malkin and Letang are free agents. What’s the thought
by voidoid  (2022-05-16 19:08:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Pittsburgh about re-signing one or both?

And Rust too
by siegfried08  (2022-05-17 13:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see a way to keep all three of them without jettisoning some bad to quasi-bad money first (i.e. Dumoulin, Kapanen, Petterson, Matheson, McGinn). That's what is so disappointing about that loss while massively outplaying the Rangers -- this was almost certainly the last ride, and they had a really, really good team this year that just caught some awful luck at the end of the year.

I suspect that they will end up paying Letang market value (probably $8.5 AAV -- he had a Norris-finalist caliber year this year) and Malkin will take some sort of hometown discount (3 years, $7M seems about right). Rust will probably walk, unfortunately.

Rust will stay with the Pens, extended six years, $30.75m *
by voidoid  (2022-05-22 07:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reports are Pittsburgh low-balled them.
by Rick Sanchez  (2022-05-16 20:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something like 3 years $5M/yr for each of them.

Apparently Crosby wasn't happy about that.

If that happened, Hextall needs to go
by siegfried08  (2022-05-17 13:01:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know he just got the job, but I wouldn't hate the idea of FSG installing their own guy. It's worked out pretty well with Klopp/Michael Edwards.

I only mentioned Edzo's "interest"
by knutesteen  (2022-05-16 13:35:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because as I recall (and maybe I misheard him), in the pregame show just prior to puck drop, he essentially confessed he was not neutral in terms of having a rooting interest, but again, I agree, he did the game in a neutral fashion and provided his usual good insights.