It's real, we're not getting the 40 goal scorers
by wearendhockey (2022-05-24 19:13:22)

In reply to: Please clarify your first paragraph......  posted by Wolfetone

or however many goals the league leaders end up with. It's imagined that Jackson can't coach anyone who takes the ice at Notre Dame, but there are those who believe that, and it is well known that some of the kids that have bolted on a commitment to Notre Dame or said no to the efforts to recruit them are hearing voices over their shoulders -- advisors, agents, family -- who say "don't go to Notre Dame, all your skill will be stifled in favor of strict adherance to the 'system.'"

My take is teams that win 4 games in late March and April are able to accept what the other team throws at them, and either successfully play their game or adjust and succeed. UMD scored a total of 21 goals in 8 wins in their 2 most recent titles, and two of those games went to overtime. Not exactly the 1980s Edmonton Oilers. I don't think their leading scorer in either 2018 or 2019 managed 40 points.

Do I think our scoring needs upgraded to have a better chance at success? Yes, clearly. We've had one player over the last three years average a point a game. That is not good enough. But we also clearly had enough talent to score more than 1 goal against UMD in 2018 or more than zero goals against MSU.

I think we both might think it is a coaching issue at Notre Dame. It sounds like we probably don't agree on the particular aspect of the coaching issue.