Two-time defending champs deserve credit
by knutesteen (2022-06-10 10:45:24)

Another late loss for the Rangers, but credit to Tampa Bay and their experienced front-line stars coming through in the clutch. Experience matters, and at least the Rangers are acquiring some vital experience for a positive foreseeable future. Stranger things have happened, so we'll see if another back to the wall performance earns a home game 7. Not betting on it, but yet another elimination game resulting in a possible 3rd 7 game series would be quite interesting. And exhausting.

Bill Daly is Principal McVicker. *
by DillonFightSong  (2022-06-26 23:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who's the guy for the Lightning going for 4 Cups in a row? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-06-11 23:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Patrick Maroon - was on Blues team when they won
by SixShutouts66  (2022-06-11 23:36:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Originally one om Ducks, but long gone

That was a hell of a run.
by voidoid  (2022-06-11 22:46:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The window is just opening and I like where this team is heading.

The cap crunch is real though.
by Rick Sanchez  (2022-06-17 18:43:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They really need to find a way to trade Trouba. That contract is going to seriously limit what this team can do until his NTC kicks in during 2024.

I'm thinking they're going to go with Chytil as 2C next season unless Strome takes a discount. It looks like Copp is outta here.

When Trouba signed he said coming to NY was as much
by voidoid  (2022-06-19 10:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for his wife's career as it was for his own. No idea what their present situation is but accepting a trade might be a tall order. Nemeth needs to go for sure (and why on earth did he get any kind of NTC in his contract?)

They also need to bank cap space for next year when Lafreniere, Chytil and Miller come due. Guessing Kakko gets a 2-year bridge; he still has a lot to prove and his inability to finish is really disappointing. Hopeful that Vatrano returns and I doubt we can pay Copp what he'll get on the open market (unless he really wants to return.) On the plus side after next year the dead cap space from Shatty, Girardi and DeAngelo is finally off the books.

Chytil had a great playoff but it's hard to pencil him in as 2C on a cup contender. I would love to get proven wrong. Center depth has been a problem for time immemorial with this team. Maybe Brad Richards has some gas left in the tank.

I'm living in the clouds on Trouba.
by Rick Sanchez  (2022-06-24 12:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it would be great if they could trade him. A buyout is probably more likely, although I can't see anything happening there given the rumor he was about to be named captain last season.

They're going to have some really difficult decisions to make over the next few seasons. I really hope we don't give up someone like Miller just to keep Trouba around.

Watching these two teams play
by voidoid  (2022-06-24 20:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Rangers feel miles away from Tampa and Colorado from an overall, top-to-bottom talent standpoint, with the exception of Shesterkin. They’re very good, but if Chytil and Lafreniere move up to the top six it’s hard to see how to assemble a productive third line given the cap constraints. I think defensive depth is fine, and honestly Trouba’s game isn’t detrimental but he’s not worth the price tag. (He’s not Wade Redden.)

Have to keep telling myself they’re young and will get better, but for certain guys (Chytil, Kaako) it’s tough to see how much higher the ceiling is.

I do think Gallant is the right coach at the right time.

Two rumors at the moment: one big, one small
by Rick Sanchez  (2022-06-29 20:40:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Small one is Motte is resigning. Depending on the money that can be really good or really bad.

Big rumor is Drury going hard after Pierre-Luc Dubois. If they can get him signed long term I'd love to have him. But there's no way he's going to sign for less than $7M - $8M a year on a long term deal. That's a lot given the Rangers cap situation and the need to resign Kakko this season and Chytil, Lafrienere, and Miller next season.

That said, he's a big (6'4, 205lb) 24 year old center whose best hockey is ahead of him and has existing chemistry with Panarin. If we're going to break the bank on a center there are much worse options (including both Strome and Copp). I don't see how the cap situation works out in 2023 with him on the roster, though.

It was a great third period-can't kill that Tampa team
by knutesteen  (2022-06-25 09:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I see McKinnon skate for the Avs, I agree that no Ranger seems close to that fast and elusive with the puck. Makar is right there with Fox, perhaps better in the offensive end.
And Palat for Tampa is simply clutch. Add the leadership of Stamkos, and the high skill level of Point, Kucherov, Hedman and Sergachev and the Rangers did well to play Tampa as close as they did.
The Finals teams do indeed seem to have a higher level of talent competing that that the Rangers bring to the ice.