5-2 Final - Irish win *
by DakotaDomer (2022-11-25 18:30:45)

This user did not provide content for this post

Additional Ice Chips on last nights game
by NH74Domer  (2022-11-26 12:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- we came out pretty strong in the first few minutes of the game that generated a number of good scoring chances that wound up creating a PP chance for ND. We gave it back almost immediately with an unnecessary penalty of ours which killed any momentum we had
- the first two periods for us were god-awful; the second period in particular. Our PP was a special type of pathetic - we didn't come close to generating a shot on the first one (I don't think we controlled the puck long enough on any shift to do so) and might have generated just one shot on the second one. I think we had just four SOGs for the period overall and were getting killed on faceoffs, particularly in the d-zone, which gave BC numerous good scoring chances. Not sure how we were able to survive with a lead no less (other than it was BC)
- not sure what changed out of the second intermission, but our game tightened up substantially - our forechecking kept BC bottled up, forcing a number of turnovers and for whatever reason we decided that we were going to challenge BC in the neutral zone, instead of letting them build up a full head of steam and carry the puck into the offensive zone, something they were doing easily in the first two periods. This limited their O-zone time as a result (why this took us two periods to figure out, I will never know). We also started to win more faceoffs, but pretty much got killed overall in this area.
- while our team speed seems to be ok, it doesn't come close to what we've had in the past. We showed good speed beating BC to pucks in period 3, but didn't generate any odd man rushes during the game.
- Right now, this is a box-of-chocolates team (game-to-game, period-to-period)
- loved the opportunity of seeing these guys play in person, something that I haven't been able to enjoy since they last played in the Manchester Regional
- best part of the game: (in addition to the final score) - the handshake line. Cam Burke was the last player for BC. He got a ton of hugs from his former teammates including the coaches. It was really a special moment that happened in a largely empty arena.

This team holds its own as far as scoring goals 5X5,
by wearendhockey  (2022-11-26 12:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something like 18th in the NCAA. Our special teams are clearly the reason a team with expectations entering the season is struggling to put together a good year. Both the PK and the PP are 51st best in the NCAA after last night. Simply unacceptable. Poulin's last team scored 23 PP goals. This team is on a pace to score about 16 were the season to end in the opening round of the conference playoff like 04-05 did (in what would be 2 fewer games this season). How is that even possible?

Inept would be too generous a description of our PP in the
by NH74DOMER  (2022-11-26 13:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

first two periods. We seemed to get our act together in the third period but I don’t understand how it’s cratered from last year and is so wildly inconsistent within the same game.

Classy move by BC to make Cam Burke an alternate Captain for
by zahm82  (2022-11-26 12:22:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

game. I was sorry to see him leave our team.

The first two periods were some of the worst hockey I have
by zahm82  (2022-11-26 10:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ever witnessed. What high-end forward would want to be part of that! We were lucky that BC is such a bad team

Inconsistency thy name is Irish hockey...
by wearendhockey  (2022-11-26 10:13:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice to see them beat BC into submission with 4 straight goals. Nice to see a 3-point night out of Tyler Carpenter.

After a weekend off we host a suprisingly good Penn State (13-3-0, 3rd in the conference but #1 in KRACH) and then basically take the rest of 2022 off. Here's to that time being the prescription to get a maddenly underwhelming 1st half out of their heads.