Agreed
by ndmd99 (2024-03-10 17:26:47)

In reply to: They need to seriously redefine contact to the head for  posted by zahm82

That MastroD major made no sense. It wasn't called on the ice and the guy was going headfirst into the boards on his own.

I thought the Bavaria major on Fri wasn't a good call either. MI player was up against the boards, made a quick turn right before contact, and put himself in a vulnerable position lowering his head to the railing. Bavaria was already committed to making contact so there was nothing he could do to stop. I have no problem calling that minor boarding, but making that a game-changing major call was BS.

Given the standard the refs set for the weekend, I was shocked they didn't call us for a 3rd major yesterday. MI D tries to split between 2 Irish. Our players collapse and check the guy. Our first goy knocks the MI player into our other guy (smacking his head awkwardly). But there now accidental unavoidable head contact isn't a penalty.

And the one call they reviewed against MI for a major seemed like it should've been 5 min based off the calls against us. Our guy is vulnerable and going down against the boards. MI player finishes the check smacking Irish players head against the boards. But there it's only a minor.

Refs were all over the place.

If they want to be a pro development league, they should call the game like the pro level (where the bar for 5-10 min penalties is much higher). 5-10 min penalties have massive impact on the outcome of the games, so they should be used only for the most egregious penalties.

I also get some of JJ's griping about B10 officiating.

B10 overall has some teams that take a lot of penalties:
MSU -- 13.4 PIM/G
UW -- 10.4 PIM/G
MN -- 6.8 PIM/G
Mich -- 13.4 PIM/G
ND -- 12.6 PIM/G
PSU -- 9.2 PIM/G
OSU -- 12.8 PIM/G

But those numbers don't hold up for the blue bloods this season when they play ND (ND PIM/G vs opp PIM/G):
MSU --18.0 vs 10.5
UW -- 20.8 vs 10.3
MN -- 5.0 vs 3.0
Mich -- 13.5 vs 9.7
PSU -- 8.5 vs 13.3
OSU -- 15.0 vs 19.0

MSU and Mich may be the 2 dirtiest teams in B10, but somehow the refs act like they put their halos on when they play the Irish.

I'd much rather the refs call the game like they did with us vs Gophers this year. Both teams got away with stuff, but it was pretty consistent. And refs didn't change the outcome of the games (like they did this past weekend). And we were more competitive vs MN compared to the other top B10 teams likely because the PP-effect was diminished.

Don't get me wrong -- I also think there's stuff on our own bench to clean up when it comes to penalties. But we are facing an uphill battle in the B10.

Replies: