Well said...
by MR_IRISH (2011-09-14 10:37:11)

In reply to: This is really a terrible shame  posted by ACross

I'm trying to keep the faith that Kelly has continually improved each year at places he's been in the past...Each step the record got better each year, especially in the first several years.

If we can finish 9-4 with a bowl W, that is progress from 8-5 and hopefully things will continue to turnaround, albeit slower than we'd hope.

9-4 is still possible and it represents my altered expectations which, on a macro level, keep things moving upward. 9-4 or 10-3 should keep the Darby's of the world and keep momentum.

If by some awful luck/chance we start 0-3 this is nothing like 2007. That team was not developed, was getting walloped and didn't move the ball on offense. Kelly has us in decent shape, but he's working with a team and fanbase fragile in confidence and full of negativity.

I do hope Kelly succeeds.

I'm not quite as sanguine as you
by ACross  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We also all need to confront the very real possibility that a trainwreck is in progress.

That you're still making specific suggestions
by Bruno95  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

such as finding an offensive coordinator and returning Charley Molnar to his proper home in the MAC/Big East indicates you're more optimistic than some.

But there are some reasons for optimism. I don't think Kelly was an indifferent (Davie), self-congratulatory (Ty), or panicked (Weis) hire. I think he was ND's true second choice, and perhaps Swarbrick's first. I think they hired him to win titles. They do finally have top-notch practice and strength facilities. They have departed from the "let God sort 'em out" student disciplinary approach. And Swarbrick has moved away from the 7-4-1 format, a Big Ten-membership greaser if there ever were one.

But wanting something and achieving it are two different concepts. The Norman Dale hire is looking less like "the field here is 100 yards long and 53.3 yards wide," and more like the guy who was forced to spend twelve years in the Navy.

They do have over 1000 yards in two games. They do have a good defensive line, a good running back, and a great wide receiver and middle linebacker. They could end the year with a decent record if they can compose themselves and play with a steady confidence. I don't think they will, but I also thought Utah would beat them by 50.