Here you go
by HTownND (2011-09-14 10:37:10)

In reply to: Well, that's exactly what he said.  posted by baloo88

"Yes, entitled and haven't worked for what they've gotten. Those who get to Notre Dame aren't seeking to excel and better themselves. We've reached our destination."

That's your inferral, he didn't say this

"Good kids, generally, but not of the sort that built the place and defined its ethos."

The place wasn't built in the last few years. My generation is not like my grandfather's generation who went to ND. I don't see how that is controversial.

The real problem is the quoted statement above. You lept from his quote to a conclusion that isn't there.

I appreciate the effort.
by baloo88  (2011-09-14 10:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't mind that he says we are different from old students. Yes, we do come from more wealthy backgrounds from the most part. Even I, a son of a single mother who is an accountant, have probably had more advantages than the average Notre Dame student from the first half of the 20th century. But there's no mistaking that he did use the terms "entitled" and "had things handed to them" to describe students today and he did say that we view Notre Dame as a destination spot.

If he was trying to land a blow against the leadership at Notre Dame, he missed with those three sentences and hit the current students and recent grads.

I think his point
by HTownND  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that he's trying to say those are the types of people ND is targeting now, and the atmosphere they are attempting to cultivate as well.

Well, your interpretation requires at least as many...
by baloo88  (2011-09-14 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assumptions as mine. You must admit that if one is to believe what you just wrote, he has to read a lot into ndoldtown's post.

But I'm content to leave it alone from here. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain what you thought of ndoldtown's statements.

Also, Fernando Torres is still a bust. Luckily for your Blues, Chelsea have made a few other smart buys (Meireles, Mata, and Luiz, in particular) that have really saved their bacon.