I don't think you understood ndoldtown
by ACross (2011-09-14 10:37:10)

In reply to: I've always disliked your style...  posted by baloo88

Hell, I come from a relatively affluent background, and I didn't take it as a swipe against me. He didn't mean it as a swipe against you or your peers.

He meant it as a commentary as to what the University has endeavored to become. It is somehow embarrassed about its heritage and wants to be something other than what it was.

Andy, you've put it simply and eloquently. Thank you.
by KevinPS  (2011-09-14 10:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm as serious as a heart attack. I also liked your opening post in this thread. I was and remain a Kelly supporter. From reading your post, I was likely more of a supporter than you were. I'd guess that's reversed now. I just need to see it before I believe it.

I wasn't offended by the "rich" descriptor.
by baloo88  (2011-09-14 10:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was that he ascribed the terms not hardworking, unambitious, entitled, had everything handed to them, and view Notre Dame as a destination spot to current students and recent grads. I didn't care about the student body being called rich. It's true, at least in comparison to ND students of the past and most other college students in the country. It's the other descriptors that bothered me.

Bothered you on a personal level, perhaps
by Hipster  (2011-09-14 10:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I seriously doubt you'd rise and strike to defend the honor of the entire student body. If you came from a single parent background and worked your ass off for everything you have, congrats, you're blessed with something more important than wealth.

But honestly, did you even look around you on campus when you were there? Notre Dame has significantly...significantly increased the Spaulding Smails/Danny Noonan ratio.

It is what it is, kid.