I said I was neutral below, but now I'm not.
by captaineclectic (2013-01-11 16:42:04)

In reply to: Yes, I can explain easily  posted by Winter Celtic

Here's the thing.

Not only did my wife give you money, but so did my brother-in-law -- mostly because he's a big softy who recently had a dog pass.

I do not give a shit about the money, because it was not a lot, and because I frankly do not blame you for fundraising and for still going down to the game. Shit, I piss and moan about money bullshit too, and I went (sans tickets, but it was not a cheap weekend.) For my part I don't care. I'm not sure what I'm going to tell my brother-in-law, but hey, that's probably my wife's problem, not mine.

What I think you should be taking from all this is a serious thought. To wit: you wouldn't have this problem if your initial post had mentioned your trip.

Everyone here probably thinks it's a good thing if you don't have to choose between your dog and taking your son to the game. That includes me -- I'd have approved the same gift from my wife in a heartbeat. (Not that it matters -- she didn't wait for my approval.) Which means you'd probably have gotten about the same amount of money if you'd disclosed.

And you'd probably be getting a lot more sympathy now if your initial reaction had been "Oh, fuck, I didn't realize how this would come across. I did want to do both. I should have disclosed that I was making the trip. I'll refund any gifts you guys made if you want me to."

But you didn't. So think about that too.

Which card do you play?
by IrishApache  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Soliciting funds for a homemade internet charity is like _______________.

1: Ripping into a man's chest and pulling out his still beating heart.

2: The plot of a Michael Bay Movie.

3: Picking up girls at abortion clinics.

4: Not reciprocating oral sex.

5: Firing a rifle into the air while balls deep in a squealing hog.

Here's why I'm pissed
by Starburns  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sister is a nurse in a pediatric hospital. They had a nine-year-old kid come into the clinic on Christmas Eve with complications of type I diabetes. They discovered cigarette burns all over his torso and had to get the police and child services involved.

It's a really good hospital and they have a lot of wealthy benefactors so they can do a lot for kids like this. She asked him what he would want from Santa through their Santa program. "Don't worry about me," he said. "Give it to a kid who needs it."

I'm glad your son got to go to the game. I don't begrudge him that. But the ability of legit charities to reliably raise funds depends on good will and trust. Every time someone like you does something like this, that gets harder.

Maybe next time give it to someone who needs it.

Heartless disclosure.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first reaction was "tough luck, put the dog down." I am not the animal lover in the family.

But whatever. That isn't the issue. The issue is disclosure and judgment. And apologies.

That's not heartless
by Starburns  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously he doesn't think his dog's health is worth the cost either. Otherwise he wouldn't have trolled the Internet to raise money to save him instead of arranging his own finances to accommodate the expense of having a sick dog.

But this is also why I don't have pets. I'd rather spend the money on my selfish travel pursuits.

Good points, all.
by Winter Celtic (click here to email the poster)  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree. And Mea Culpa on that. I've already explained that I'm now well aware of how it looks here.

And I would absolutely refund anyone from NDN who donated who now feels otherwise. The money is being held in a Paypal account anyway.

How it looks here? Try how it looks ANYWHERE. *
by Rockbrig97  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post