Here's why I'm pissed
by Starburns (2013-01-11 16:42:04)

In reply to: I said I was neutral below, but now I'm not.  posted by captaineclectic

My sister is a nurse in a pediatric hospital. They had a nine-year-old kid come into the clinic on Christmas Eve with complications of type I diabetes. They discovered cigarette burns all over his torso and had to get the police and child services involved.

It's a really good hospital and they have a lot of wealthy benefactors so they can do a lot for kids like this. She asked him what he would want from Santa through their Santa program. "Don't worry about me," he said. "Give it to a kid who needs it."

I'm glad your son got to go to the game. I don't begrudge him that. But the ability of legit charities to reliably raise funds depends on good will and trust. Every time someone like you does something like this, that gets harder.

Maybe next time give it to someone who needs it.

Heartless disclosure.
by captaineclectic  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My first reaction was "tough luck, put the dog down." I am not the animal lover in the family.

But whatever. That isn't the issue. The issue is disclosure and judgment. And apologies.

That's not heartless
by Starburns  (2013-01-11 16:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously he doesn't think his dog's health is worth the cost either. Otherwise he wouldn't have trolled the Internet to raise money to save him instead of arranging his own finances to accommodate the expense of having a sick dog.

But this is also why I don't have pets. I'd rather spend the money on my selfish travel pursuits.