PTSD ...
by CJC (2014-11-20 07:12:38)

In reply to: Just for fun -- shooting for the top ...  posted by CJC

The seeming onslaught of horrific losses since Holtz left had me convinced that Notre Dame had lost a lot of games to teams with losing records.

So I decided to check it out. And when I learned that Brennan only lost twice to teams with losing records (both in the 2-8 Hornung Heisman season of 1956), I was certain that would compare favorably with some of our more recent heroes.

Not exactly. Here you go ....

Brennan (2) -- SMU and Purdue in '56

Ara (1) -- Purdue, in his final season, 1974

Devine (2) -- Georgia Tech in '76 and Ole Miss in the '77 national championship seasosn

Faust (3) -- Purdue in '81, MSU in '83 and Purdue in '85 -- hey, Gerry wins the prize!

Holtz (1) -- Stanford in '90

Davie (3) -- Stanford in '97, Pitt in '99 and MSU in '00 -- keeping up with Gerry

Tyrone (1) -- BYU in '04 -- I knew we didn't give this guy enough time!

Chuckles (3) -- MSU in '05, Syracuse in '08 (that should count for two, at least) and Michigan in '09 (that should count for 10)

Kelly (1) -- USF in '11

I looked at those losses back in 2008
by ShermanOaksND  (2014-11-20 07:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and determined that Syracuse '08 was the worst team ever to beat ND in football. SU finished 3-9, and was 1-9 against FBS teams other than ND. (The win came against Louisville, who was 4-7 vs. FBS teams that year.)

This year's Northwestern team is 4-6, but was just 2-6 vs. FBS teams before upsetting ND. NU could scrape their way back to .500, but they're a 1-point underdog at Purdue this week.

Mildly interesting note on 2007 ....
by CJC  (2014-11-20 07:12:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We played nine teams with winning records and lost them all.

We played three teams with losing records and won them all.

Somehow, that seems appropriate.